This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Trigger warning: eating disorders and drug use

Have you noticed your eyeliner smudging, new runs in your tights, or a craving for cigarettes? Maybe you’ve been seeing an abundance of tattoos, black clothing, and tired eyes. That’s right — the Tumblr Grunge aesthetic is back; it’s better, but it’s dangerous.

Popularized through Tumblr and reaching its peak in 2014, ‘indie sleaze’ was thought to be a fashion relic by today’s mainstream media. However, the aesthetic had been propelled by both contemporary and forever-attractive pop culture themes. TV shows like Fleabag, which breed the acceptance of imperfect and even immoral people, fall under this darker style. So does the notorious resurgence every autumn of Harry Potter, which emphasizes the famously gloomy stylings of Slytherin and ‘dark academia.’ This has been especially apparent with the recent obsession and popularity of Draco fanfiction. While the look has never completely disappeared, we find ourselves being pushed back into young rebellion this fall.

Presently, we see this genre interacting with trending designs, unlike the galaxy legging, flower crowns, and graphic tees of our early teens, but instead with the ‘clean girl,’ ‘e-girl,’ and ‘cottage-core’ looks of today. Not to mention, we’ve grown up a little. Our fashion has matured and with that, our ability to better style ourselves. Tumblr grunge is much more palatable and chic in its contemporary form, with classic inspirational elements from celebrities like Billie Eilish, Willow Smith, and Julia Fox. Even Kylie Jenner has dipped her toe in the pool of edginess, with others like Emma Chamberlain bringing a more modern take to the designs. 

As a creditable aesthetic, it can still reach a dangerous point when combined with certain online social issues. The early 2010s were riddled with the promotion of restrictive and disordered eating (widely known as the ‘pro-ana’ movement) and it was common for these groups to congregate online. Though policies have been added to Tumblr’s Community Guidelines addressing these issues, it’s still important to understand and identify the phenomenon — especially when we begin to see a crossover between the living choices and aesthetics of the indie-sleaze lifestyle. While we can rejoice over this comeback, we must also be aware of how these looks contribute to our body image, as it’s often skinny people being glorified in the style.

An additional problem with the many layers of this aesthetic has to do with drug use. Pictures of white pills, powder, and cigarettes litter the genre, and similarly to the images of skinny women, they promote destructive behavior. You know, drugs look cool, especially with flash and a black-and-white filter. You’re inherently going to be more apt to smoke, drink, and barely eat or sleep when that’s most of the imagery you’re consuming. Whether you narrowly escaped the original trend or are in a phase of recovery, it’s more important than ever to understand that participation in the Tumblr grunge style is not mutually exclusive with poor health.

Winecork
Alex Frank / Spoon

While there needs to be caution with the other habits that bubble up alongside Tumblr grunge, there is still much to celebrate about the style this fall. Who doesn’t love some good ol’ Doc Martens, layered necklaces, and fresh hair dye? Autumn brings so many wonderful looks to the table, and this year, we’re revamping an oldie.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Bella Giordano

U Mass Amherst '24

My experiences in journalism and psychology keep me motivated to find new opportunities where I can continue cultivating these skills. In my free time I find myself consistently creating passion projects, further exemplifying my love for what I do. You can find me cooking, podcasting, writing, or out for a run!