The Potential of a Fake German Heiress: 5 Things That “Inventing Anna” Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Before I started watching Inventing Anna on Netflix, I had no idea who Anna Sorokin, aka Anna Delvey, was. It was a mere coincidence that I ended up picking this show to watch on a random day during spring break. And it left me pleasantly surprised and undoubtedly hooked. As I zoomed through the show, episode after episode, each one left me more invested in her wild adventures. Even after I was done watching her life unfold, I couldn’t let go of everything that had happened to her, her friends, and her business connections — I was hungry to learn more. And it is clear that many shared the same sentiment! Here are a few things I learned from the show:

“I do not have time for this. I do not have time for you!”

One of the most popular dialogues in the show is now trending as TikTok creators share the most annoying experiences in their life. Sorokin’s blunt attitude has been unwelcome and startling at times, but what really shone through for me were her bold choices in mindful investments. She doesn’t chase after those who don’t have time for her, and therefore, holds the same standard for herself. Said during an argument that she’s having with her boyfriend, she makes it clear that she doesn’t have time for love in the middle of business. The complexity of her character makes me realize that such bluntness is also the cause of her loss of relationships in life. However, she uses this harsh exterior to shield herself from the chaos of the lush life, picking on things that are truly important.

“You have to work hard to get what you want”

As she admits by the end of the show, if she wanted the easy way out, she would have acted differently; yet, Sorokin managed to work hard through every step of the plan. She carefully laid out every move of hers and made sure she didn’t slack when it came to rooting her own business model. She went through several highs and lows, but in the end, she made sure that she was putting her heart and soul into whatever she did. She researched what was required and networked with the right people. The primary reason why she got as far as she did in her scheme was that she worked hard on ensuring that she leaves no stone unturned in getting what she wanted.

“Life is for living, you know.”

I’m definitely one of those people who secretly romanticizes their life. Playing those upbeat songs or compiling a quick reel about my week, all make me feel like the main character on days when I don’t want to get up from bed and move a muscle. It works as a spark of motivation and a definite mood booster. Sorokin, on the other hand, impacted all areas of her journey with a larger-than-life mentality. The idea of the “Anna Delvey Foundation” was big, and her ways to achieve it were bigger. She was gladly willing to take big risks to keep up the idea of her fame and fortune.

“I wanted to learn everything. So I could be anything”

Though relying on the power of associations, she chose these associations cautiously. Whoever she met, whether it be friends or associates, she made sure to pick up information that she thought crucial. She was clever to consequently use this information for her own profit. Throughout her twisted journey, she never stopped learning and that became her superpower. Think about it: she became the prime example of the phrase “fake it till you make it,” solely through relying on her guts.

“It’s the 21st century, but this is still a boy’s club.”

For Sorokin, getting a foot in this door was already remarkable considering she was a woman. It was not enough for her to just have talent, she had to compensate a lot for the men in these clubs to respect her. She was never hindered by doubt or nervousness and wasn’t keen on being liked by those around her. Contrarily, her rudeness and narcissism made her revered by those around her. The series makes the viewer quite aware of the patterns of victim-blaming and internalized misogyny that exist within the socialite circles of the city’s elite.

Finally…

Make no mistake, this list isn’t my nod to the course of life she chose or the actions she took to hurt the people around her. I simply admit that there is a lot to be said about a complex character like “Anna Delvey,” and not all of it is bad. However, one of the biggest lessons I learned from watching the show wasn’t from the persona she pursued. Rather, the end that she was met with became the biggest eye-opener for me. She tried to run from the past but her mistakes and her wrongdoings eventually caught up to her present. She may have succeeded in securing small wins, but she succeeded alone.

Watch the series on Netflix and see for yourself if parts of Anna resonate with you too!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Rhea Mukherjee

U Mass Amherst '24

Rhea Mukherjee is a junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is majoring in Psychology and double minoring in English and Biology. A people's person, Rhea has a deep passion for mental health, awareness and adolescent wellness. When she's not nose-deep in work, you can find her strumming her ukulele, reading memoirs or writing poetry!