The One Where We All Lost A Friend: Chandler Bing Will Forever Remain in Our Hearts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Friends is by far my all time favorite TV show and I think it’s safe to say that a large part of the global world is aware of Friends and have seen it. Almost everyone knows about the TV show Friends because it has become such an integral part of our daily lives. It is a classic show in American culture that no other TV show has been able to top and that no other show can ever replace. I have seen quite a bit of TV shows and Friends always remains my favorite show.  

On October 28th, 2023, Matthew Perry who plays the iconic character of Chandler Bing passed away sending a shock through American culture. Everyone was saddened and heartbroken by the news because it was so sudden and unexpected. Several people were posting on social media in honor of Matthew Perry and his character of Chandler Bing that has been so close to our hearts. There are several aspects to the character of Chandler Bing that Matthew Perry was able to portray so well and so beautifully and was able to bring justice to the character in a way in which no other actor would have been able to. Chandler is a memorable character in Friends who has made a lasting impact on audiences across the globe because of his sarcastic yet lovable nature and never failing to make us laugh.

Chandler is funny, affable, sarcastic and a bit insecure. Chandler can always be counted on whenever his friends need him. And as he put it, “I make jokes when I’m uncomfortable… I say more dumb things before 9 a.m. than most people say all day.” Things are always a little more entertaining when Chandler is around, with his spicy one-liners. Since he spoke this way regularly and naturally, his funny lines came out in a simple and effective way. So without even trying, he was possibly the funniest of all and definitely had some hilarious lines over the years. 

Chandler and Joey’s friendship is definitely one of the main highlights of the show. They share a very close friendship and Joey is fairly innocent and needs to be taken care of and Chandler does so in a very loving and endearing way. The sweet and loyal friendship between them constantly drew viewers to the show and the duo delivered a lot of laughs, tears, and heartfelt moments for viewers to enjoy as they walked through life together and always had each other’s backs through the ups and downs. 

Chandler and Monica’s relationship is also another main highlight of the show. The growth and development of their friendship and relationship throughout the show is amazing to watch. They complement each other in the best of ways. Monica was always the organized, disciplined planner whereas Chandler was more outgoing, adventurous and fun, and added some spontaneity to their adventure. And of course the proposal scene is one of the most iconic scenes followed by one of the final scenes of the show where Chandler and Monica’s twins are born.

Chandler is one of the funniest characters on Friends and he instantly makes your day better by making you laugh endlessly with his humorous and sarcastic lines. Some of my favorite quotes and lines from Chandler are… “I’m not great at giving advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?”, “If I were a guy… and did I just say ‘if I were a guy?'”, “Until I was 25, I thought that the only response to ‘I love you’ was ‘Oh, crap!'”, “When I first meet somebody it’s usually panic, anxiety, and a great deal of sweating. I’m hopeless and awkward and desperate for love!”. And of course he gives the best romantic lines as well through his lovely relationship with Monica. “So they can say you’re high maintenance, but that’s okay because I like maintaining you.” “You make me happier than I ever thought I could be and if you let me, I will spend the rest of my life trying to make you feel the same way.” “What I mean is, you’re Monica. And I am in love with Monica. So you can balloon up or you can shrink down and I will still love you.”

Overall, Chandler was a perfect and relatable character on Friends who could instantly brighten up your day. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Sravani Kaza

U Mass Amherst '25

Hi! I'm Sravani and I'm a student at UMass Amherst. As a shy and soft spoken person, I have always turned to writing in order to express my thoughts and feelings regarding various topics. I joined Her Campus in order to pursue my passion of writing and to share my ideas and thoughts with the world!!