Career

The Christmas Wish List of a UMass Education Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’m officially halfway through the first year of my Early Childhood Education licensure program at UMass. As my first pre-practicum comes to a close, one thing has become increasingly clear to me: I’ve chosen the right profession. Every single moment I’ve spent in the classroom has confirmed that I cannot wait to be a teacher. This excitement has led me to develop what I am affectionately calling classroom fever. I am obsessed with searching for supplies and decorations to make my future classroom a fun, safe space for my students. Since the holidays are right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to share my classroom wishlist with any fellow education majors out there. And if you’re not an education major but looking to buy gifts for one, please use this as inspiration. Without further ado, here’s everything for my future classroom that I’m hoping Santa will bring me this Christmas.

Books, Books, & More Books!

It’s a personal goal of mine to build an impressive classroom library, so children’s books will always be at the top of my wishlist. Whether it’s a book to read aloud or a book students can read independently, you can never have too many! As I’ve learned from developing many, many, many lesson plans for my licensure courses, books make for a fantastic lesson launch, so I hope to collect books about as many different topics as possible! If you’re buying a gift for an education major, I highly recommend grabbing a few children’s books. You can never go wrong.

Personal Library Kit

In the same vein as children’s books, I think a personal library kit is a must for any classroom. Most kits will include stickers to mark the inside cover with your name, as well as a “check-out” and “return” table that you can stamp with the date. This is great if you need a system for monitoring when students take your books home (which is an important way to make sure every student has the opportunity to practice their reading skills outside of the classroom). The kit can also help students cultivate time management skills, and understand due dates. I really love the idea of having my classroom library be a resource that students can use at home as well, and a personal library kit is a great tool for keeping the whole process organized.

Stickers!!!

This might seem like a weird one, but think about it: what kid doesn’t love to get their work back with a big sticker at the top? Honestly, I’m forever wishing my professors would put stickers on my exams (*cries in adult*). A big roll of stickers is a top-tier gift for an educator because you know they’ll be put to good use!

Teacher Memory Book

I’m not kidding when I tell you that this one makes me tear up every time I think about it. Having a way to document all your precious memories from teaching is an absolute must, and I think this is such an amazing gift for a pre-service teacher! Many Teacher Memory Books have space for funny student quotes, student art, favorite lesson plans, and more! Plus, if you keep track of the little moments, you’ll have a beautiful snapshot of good times to look back on when you have a hard day. If you’re buying for an education major, add this to your list!

Writing & Art Supplies

Last but certainly not least, SCHOOL SUPPLIES. No pre-service teacher in their right mind will EVER refuse a package of gel pens!!! Erasers, markers, crayons, literally anything from Barnes & Noble… the possibilities are endless. Art supplies will always be a hit in any classroom, and any educator will appreciate a fresh set of writing utensils. Pencils and pens make such good stocking stuffers, just saying!! ;D

Well, there you have it! If you’re a fellow UMass education major, I hope this article has given you a healthy case of classroom fever. It’s never too early to start stockpiling those supplies and books! Let’s share classroom ideas on Pinterest boards and be best friends <3 I hope you get lots and lots of sparkly stickers, correcting pens, and dry-erase markers from Santa this year, xoxo.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.