The Bruins’ Social Media Team is Killing it: How the #1 Team in the NHL is Also #1 on TikTok

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There’s no denying it: the Boston Bruins were on FIRE throughout the 2022-2023 season.

(Admittedly, things went a little downhill during the playoffs — but, for the purpose of this article, we will choose to focus on the highs…)

(So, moving on…)

Setting the record for most wins during a season (65 to be exact), the Boston Bruins soared to new heights — and, so did their social media team. As the organization’s Digital Content Specialist, Elaine Cavalieri is responsible for the Bruins’ social media content, which includes management of their TikTok account.

TikTok’s popularity is undeniable, constantly upping the demand for quality, eye-catching content from users across the board. Staying up to date with the latest TikTok trends is key to securing success on the ever-evolving platform, while simultaneously generating one-of-a-kind content.

@nhlbruins

It’s Marchy’s house for the day, @redsox.

♬ original sound – Boston Bruins

The @NHLBruins on TikTok have perfected this formula. From getting ahead of the app’s lighting-fast trend cycle, and incorporating fan-favorite players into their short-form videos.

Light-hearted clips of the hard-working Bruins athletes allow fans an unparalleled glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes, on and off the ice. Viewers from across the board undoubtedly appreciate the perspective offered by the Bruins TikTok account, with some even declaring they dislike the team — yet can’t resist enjoying their perfectly curated content (IMO, they hate us ‘cause they ain’t us).

@nhlbruins

When Swift drops an album:

♬ sonido original – Lily 🪩

As brands and organizations increasingly convey their relatability on social media platforms, especially TikTok, a collective rise in followers has ensued. Many find the quirky content endearing and a reprieve from the otherwise serious and highly-professional posts that businesses often upload.

However, the age of TikTok has proven that endearing content sells

Throughout the season, the Bruins were able to captivate an audience during games and during TikTok users’ periodic (or downright binge) scroll of their For You Page feed (FYP). 

Acing the algorithm is crucial in gathering a following, and gaining new, inquisitive fans who may be curious to learn more about the Bruins and the players. Providing users with a carefree sneak peek into life within the Bruins organization establishes another layer of the parasocial bond that supporters and followers develop alongside the backing of the hockey team. 

Social media’s evolution has opened unlimited opportunities for growth, creativity, and connection. Brands, organizations, and businesses alike have utilized these networking sites to expand their pull and usher in a new era of marketing initiatives.

The Bruins’ social media team has cracked the code on how to charm fans, entice skeptical viewers, and hype up the #1 NHL team of the 2022-2023 regular season. In a rapidly changing digital landscape, staying ahead of the game (literally and figuratively) has solidified the Bruins’ position as a dynamic social media team and hockey team. 

Although the season may have come to an abrupt and unexpected end, fans can find solace knowing the B’s will come back better than ever — and can surely count on their TikTok account to hold us over in the off-season. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Nora Donovan

U Mass Amherst '23

Nora is a senior majoring in Communication and Sociology, with a minor in Business. She is passionate about art, music, writing, and working out.