This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The world of college admissions has been in an uproar ever since the reveal of the million dollar scheme of celebrity parents paying for their child’s unearned admission. This uproar is well-deserved and demands all the scrutiny from parents, students, and teachers. While much of the focus of this scandal has been placed on Olivia Jade and her public sharing of her time at the University of Southern California through her YouTube channel, what really needs a greater amount of attention are the devious and manipulative actions of her mother, Lori Loughlin. We could all sit in a circle and talk about how much we can’t stand Loughlin for how she played the system to get what she wanted for her daughter or how she insisted her daughter attend an elite school for her own self-esteem. Instead, let’s take a look at how we can thank Lori Loughlin for revealing the not-so-glamorous side of the getting into an elite college.

Thank You, Lori Loughlin for showing me that hard work is the ONLY answer

This above all else is the greatest thing I think we can take away from the recent scandal. No matter how much money or power you have, the easy-way-out will always come back to bite you. You would think that an actress as highly esteemed as Lori Loughlin would try to install her intense work ethic and professionalism into her daughter, but instead she used her success and achievements to protect her daughter and take away an amazing opportunity for someone else to receive an education. Let us take this as a lesson that no matter how high up we make it on the social ladder, your hard work and persistence in whatever you do is what will cause people to respect you. Once you start to cut corners and disregard the consequences of your actions is when someone will start to see through you.

Thank You, Lori Loughlin for proving that the college admissions process IS flawed

This one hits home for me. Along with the thousands of other students, and the unfortunate two who did not have the opportunity to join the USC Crew Team, I was a high school student who did not receive admission to her top school. Several, of my top schools, actually. The months where I felt like my intelligence was dismissed and no college admission scout saw any potential in me are times that I would never wish for any student to feel. If I was in the process of applying to college during the release of this scandal I would be extremely discouraged, but I’d also be much more willing to recognize that this system isn’t perfect and it really isn’t fair. It turns out that sometimes, a rejection or a waitlist has nothing to do with your qualification, but it has something to do with the students who are more privileged than others. Like I said, this isn’t fair, but it has NOTHING to do with how smart you are as a student. No matter where you end up, your hard work and persistence will take you further. 

Thank You, Lori Loughlin for becoming the scandal that will demand change

I shouldn’t just be thanking Lori Loughlin. Another shoutout goes to Felicity Huffman and the dozens of other parents who bought their child’s way into college. Their despicable and self-centered actions are the only way that will demand a more accredited and neutral decision process for college admission. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a dramatic illegal scheme to bring people’s attention to something that so desperately needs repair. But this could be it. If you’re questioning whether or not to speak a little bit louder about this subject, put yourself in the shoes of a parent whose child could not attend college for a sport they’ve dedicated their entire life to. As their parent you’ve driven them to every practice, cheered them on at every meet, and supported them through interviews with coaches and the entirety of the recruitment process. You finally hear that your child cannot attend school because a celebrity mother photoshopped her daughter’s face onto an elite athlete’s body for her to be recruited for a sport she’s never played and earn a degree at one of the world’s top universities. Whether or not you’re in college, this is about you.

My intention of writing this piece was not to condone the actions of Lori Loughlin or her counterparts by “thanking” her for her wrongdoings, but rather, I hope that we can look past the surface level gossip that floods our televisions and move towards informed discussions on what this type of scandal says for the world of college admissions. Let’s not just keep talking, let’s start asking the important questions and taking action.

Images: 1, 2

Ashley Guertin

U Mass Amherst '21

Ashley is graduate of UMass Amherst, Class of 2021. After joining Her Campus during her sophomore year, Ashley quickly became involved in her chapter as a Content Editor and the Facebook Coordinator. She served as the chapter's Editor in Chief and Campus Correspondent during her senior year and owes Her Campus for giving her lifelong friends and endless opportunities. You can find Ashley writing about career development, her favorite trends, and her personal experiences that she hopes will help other Her Campus readers navigate their lives.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst