Take A Leap Of Faith: Knowing When To Make A Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

My experiences have taught me that the fear of change shouldn’t ever stop you from living larger. I’ve noticed that when people know that they will be put into a situation that makes them vulnerable, they don’t take that leap of faith. I’m here to tell you to get a running start and jump! When I landed, it was the best feeling I’ve ever had.

A year ago I was at a crossroad because I knew I wasn’t happy where I was. I attended Worcester State University, which most of the residents would describe it as a “suitcase school.” I noticed that people would go home almost every weekend or go to visit friends at other schools, so I did the same. I was eager to be part of a bigger community and I was tired of feeling so comfortable.  I felt like I was still in high school: small class sizes, food that made my stomach ache, and very strict drinking policies (it’s a “dry” campus).  Don’t get me wrong, I made the best of it but it wasn’t the right fit for me.

I previously applied to UMass for my freshmen year but I unfortunately got denied. Instead of giving up, I decided to use my disappointment as motivation. I sent my application in or the spring semester and I was accepted to UMass Amherst. My dream came true and everything seemed to fall into place.

Attending UMass Amherst for one month has already changed my life. A few weeks ago I was intimidated by the amount of students in my classes and I was afraid it would be too hard to make friends.  I was wrong.  Being part of a huge community can be overwhelming but it will force you to overcome challenges that you will have to face in the real world.

Living on campus is an experience that most people should have. I’ve become more independent and confident in myself.  If you let your insecurities consume you, then you’re not living. Open your mind to new ideas and open your arms to new opportunities.  If you’re not happy with your life, it won’t fix itself, you run it!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3.

My name is Liz! I am a sophomore transfer student from Worcester State University, but I am extremely proud to now attend UMass Amherst. One day I hope to live in the city and blend my business and artistic passion into a career. They say that these are the most memorable years of your life, so I am going to open my arms up to any opportunity that can help me grow and become successful!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst