This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Far too often, we Collegiettes have a love-hate relationship with bathing suits. My bathing suit selection is currently the most outdated section of my closet. Why is this? My guess is because most of us only get to wear them for one season each year, so they’re definitely neither everyone’s favorite nor most needed item to shop for. Lately, however, I’ve noticed some original designs that actually make me look forward to picking out swimwear. For those of us who aren’t terribly enthused, here are some looks to get you pumped for looking summer-ready in no time!

1. High-neck bikinis

These are perfect for the ladies who want to cover up a little more up top. They usually come in intricate patterns and crochet designs, so they’re great for anyone with an eye for fashion. Obviously, it’s easy to fall head over heels for any of these fun looks.

2. Strappy tops

This season, the more straps the merrier. Plus, they come in just about every style. Be sure to apply lots of sunscreen, however, or else those tan lines will be interesting.

3. Fun bottoms

Here’s to the often-forgotten-about bathing suit bottom. They don’t have to be boring: opt for pairs with several straps on the sides or, my personal favorites, the pairs in fun colors that have ruched cloth covering the cheeks.

4. Flowy tops

This is another one of my personal favorite styles. A cousin of the crop top, you get all the same perks as our favorite going-out shirt but with the added bonus of being able to swim in it! Does it really get better than that?

5. Bandeau tops

Here’s a quirky variation of the flowy bikini top, but with off-the-shoulder sleeves for added chicness.

6. High-waist bottoms

This vintage style is so fun to wear as pants, why not make it into a bathing suit, as well? Genius. 

7. One pieces with cut-outs

These are not the typical one pieces that we wore as kids. Modern and glam, these will not evoke memories of your childhood fashion that you may or may not prefer to keep as a distant memory. 

So, Collegiettes, let the search begin for the style that suits you best! 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst