Supercuts SoccerFest: All Day Fun on April 26th!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The hard working students from the McCormack Department of Sport Management will host the 12th Annual Supercuts SoccerFest Tournament this Saturday April 26, 2014 from 8am-5pm. Students have been planning this event all year which combines both a 6v6 soccer tournament and a fun-packed festival. The event still hosts a full day of entertainment, a fun zone, giveaways and prizes for all ages that promise to provide a fun time.

The Soccer

The best part of SoccerFest? Watching the soccer tournament! Since the UMass soccer teams don’t play until the fall, you may be missing watching and playing the sport. SoccerFest brings back the loved sport, attracting over 95 teams annually and hosts the tournament for a wide range of ages and skill levels from 8am to 5pm.

Attend the Fun Zone

The Fun Zone is what makes SoccerFest not only a tournament, but also a festival for all ages, especially college students in the afternoon from 12-4pm. There is a wide range of food vendors, activities, live entertainment, prizes and more!

Activities

• Supercuts (a sponsor of the event) will be there with hair styling and coloring
  • Inflatables
  • Food eating contests: pie eating contest in morning, wing eating contest in the afternoon
  • Think you can hit a home run over Green Monster? Give it a try at the Walgreens’ Monster replica
  • Face Painting
  • Corn Hole, Soccer Ball Beirut, and Explore Disc Golf

Live Entertainment

This year the entertainment that is performing are:

• Guitar Dudes from 11:45am-1:45pm
  • S#arp Attitude acapella group from 2pm-3pm
  • Supermoon from 3pm-4pm

Prizes

There will be plenty of prizes at SoccerFest including but not limited to:

• Autographed Bruins stick
  • Autographed Rob Gronkowski Patriots Cap
  • PUMA cleats
  • FIFA World Cup, Team Italy jersey
  • Jeff Green Autographed Basketball
  • Jon Lester Autographed Baseball
  • Victor Cruz Signed Helmet
  • AJ Pierzynski Autographed Baseball

PUMA Skills challenge

A soccer skills challenge will be hosted by PUMA in the SportsFort, which is a really cool inflatable soccer field. The SportsFort will be in the Fun Zone from 10:30am-2:30pm and is a sight to see!

Giving Back

SoccerFest always uses the tournament as a way to give back to the community. This year SoccerFest is partnering with Northampton Exercise Club for the homeless and will allow students and the homeless an opportunity to participate and celebrate the community. All participants and Fun Zone attendees are encouraged to bring lightly used athletic apparel and clothing to donate to the club. Anyone that brings an item will be entered into a raffle for the Jeff Green autographed basketball!

SoccerFest has also partnered with the You Can Play Project, which is a social activism campaign geared toward eradicating homophobia in sports. You Can Play will be on-site in the Fun Zone at SoccerFest with a pledge for people to sign.

Have fun!

Be sure to come down to the athletic fields behind McGuirk Football Stadium on Saturday the 26th for an event that promises to be a lot of fun. Bring some friends, enjoy the spring weather, watch some soccer, and enjoy the SoccerFest Fun Zone!

*All Photos are Credited to the Supercuts SoccerFest Facebook page.

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst