Summer is just a few weeks away and I have curated a list of all my favorite items that are perfect for fun in the sun all summer long! In all honesty, I have been using/consuming these products/items for the past few weeks of spring, but they needed the stamp of approval before the summer months hit. I hope all my lovely readers find something new to try (or are reintroduced to an old fave) and enjoy their upcoming summers!
1. Kombucha: This has been a classic fizzy favorite of mine for a long time, but I like to branch out in the summer months and choose fun flavors like watermelon or mixed berries.
2. Soy Milk: This is possibly controversial when it comes to the battle of alternative milks — but hear me out — despite being sooo 2010, it goes so well in iced coffee and overnight oats! It’s refreshing, light, and a tad creamy. (Shoutout to my friend Ciara for getting me back on it!)
3. G&T’s: This is for my 21+ gals. Trust me: a gin and tonic is simple, yet classy. They are so versatile because they can be altered to any occasion. Want simple? Go classic gin and tonic with a lime. Need something more summery? Use grapefruits, peaches, or watermelon syrups/juices or as garnishes. The possibilities are endless. Pro tip: try out Long Drinks!
1. 3 Wishes Cereal (Honey Flavored): This sweet and crunchy cereal is a great snack or meal. They have other flavors too, but the honey flavored is the perfect balance of sweetness to cereal. Plus, this cereal is grain-free/gluten-free so it’s pretty friendly for those with dietary restrictions.
2. Mangoes: Summer is the season of fruits! My personal favorite are mangoes because they are so sweet and tangy.
3. RX Bars: I love these for on-the-go snacks! My personal favorite flavors are the peanut butter and the coconut chocolate. There are so many other flavors too, so check them out if you haven’t had them before!
1. The Fifth Season by N.K Jemisin: I recently read this science-fantasy novel for my Lit class, and I was surprisingly so entertained by the entire plot! It has elements of magic, technology, and a looming futuristic doomsday. Parts of it remind me of The Divergent series or The Hunger Games, so if you enjoyed those books, you’ll love the first book in this trilogy!
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: A beautiful story of a young boy’s quest to find treasure and the meaning of life! I was so inspired by the many life lessons and advice this book offered, while also entertained by the tumultuous quest the main character went on.
3. The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict: This book is partially influenced by true events which is my kryptonite! It follows the life of Mileva Marić, Albert Einstein’s first wife, as she navigates the highs and lows of living in the shadows of her husband’s rising fame.
1. New Girl: I think almost everyone under the sun has either seen or at least heard of this series, but it’s such a feel-good show. It’s one of those shows that can be rewatched over and over again because it’s so funny and lighthearted.
2. Friday Night Lights (TV Series): A classic series that follows the lives of the head coach and players of a high school football team set in the fictional town of Dillion, Texas. After the first few episodes I was hooked, and I enjoyed seeing the character transformations.
3. Mamma Mia: I think we all wish we could be Donna Sheridan living on a beautiful Greek island. This movie embodies what my perfect summer would be. And who doesn’t love a good ABBA musical number?
1. “Wave of You” by Surfaces: A great song for the summer that has cool vibes and reminds me of driving by the ocean or hanging out with friends.
2. “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon: A bit of an oldie but it’s a great song to blast with the windows down.
3. “West Coast” by DVBBS & Quinn XCII: This is the perfect summer party song. Upbeat, catchy, and idolizes the warm, summery weather of the west coast.
(I have to shamelessly plug my Spotify.)
- Beauty/Skin Products
1. Sunbum Mineral SPF: It smells like coconuts and summer! I’m no expert in sunscreens, but I think as long as you have a trusty SPF for the summer, you’re all set! (SPF is seriously your BFF!)
2. Butter Bronzer: To give me a bit of a warm glow to my complexion for a great price. Plus, it also smells like coconuts! (There’s a theme here LOL.)
3. The Ordinary 5% Lactic acid + HA: I have been using this for roughly a month and a half now, but it has made my skin so much smoother as it gently exfoliates my skin. Def look into it if you’re in need of a chemical exfoliant, but make sure to patch test first!
4. Essie Nail Polish: More specifically in the light pink color called Ballet Slippers. It is my all-time favorite, but goes really well in the summer because it’s such a light pink. It almost looks white, but with a hint of fun and flirty pink.
Catch me using all these things during the warm summer months at the beach, hanging with friends, or while at work. Although I’m sad that this is my last article for this semester, I am looking forward to a relaxing summer and can’t wait to return with new article ideas for the fall! Until next time, enjoy the sun and don’t forget your sunscreen!