Studying Abroad: 4 Tips For The First Few Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you’re currently studying abroad, planning on studying abroad sometime soon, or just thinking about the possibility of it, you may be wondering, how do I manage my first couple of days in a foreign country? As someone who is currently studying abroad and had many questions about the issues of the first couple of days, here are some suggestions for managing those first-days issues.

1. New language?

If you are studying abroad in a country where the language is completely new to you, take the time to learn the key phrases for remaining afloat (please, thank you, bathroom, please direct me to…, what does this mean?). If you have studied your new country’s language even a little bit before arriving, be confident and use what you know. Generally, people in foreign countries are more inclined to help those who at least make a little effort to speak the native tongue. Ultimately, try to make at least a few acquaintances who speak English decently well so that you can communicate more comfortably at least some of the time. Also, keep in mind that no matter how daunting communicating in another language may be, your skills will only improve with practice.

2. New Appliances?

Don’t be afraid to ask your flatmates, neighbors, or other students about appliances that you aren’t familiar with. For example, many countries outside of the US (even European countries) have stove tops that must be lit with a match and shower heads in the bathroom that aren’t fixed to the wall. If you are struggling with the internet in your apartment or trying to get internet in your apartment, ask as many people as possible about what to do. I find that no one person always has the best answers. 

3. New transportation?

For me, being from a suburban town in Massachusetts has meant that I travel almost exclusively in cars. When you are abroad, and especially in the first couple of days when you are arriving at your destination, you will most likely have to travel by train, bus, etc. Get to know as much about the train or bus route as possible before leaving home. And from personal experience, I advise everyone to make your way to the exit of the train or bus at least one stop before you have to get off. When you have a lot of luggage with you, or if the train/bus is just plain busy, this extra time can be a life saver.

4. Advice overload?

As you prepare to go abroad and once you arrive, you will find yourself being given lots of advice all the time. The best advice I’ve received is only to take the advice that suits you. At the end of the day, you know yourself best, and there is a fine line between having new adventures and doing something unsafe far from home. This will be the experience of a lifetime, so make the most of it. 

Safe and happy travels, Collegiettes! 

Chloë Morse

U Mass Amherst

I'm a double major in Social Thought & Political Economy and Italian. I enjoy food, dance, social justice, art, foreign languages, music, and much more.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst