This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s a known fact that every job has its own distinct pros and cons. Retail jobs are no exception. There are days I absolutely love my job, and then there are days when it is, well, not so fabulous. There are common struggles that every retail worker faces, usually on a day to day basis. Here are a few.

1. When you don’t have what the customer wants, whether it’s a shoe size, a clothing size, or just a piece of clothing in general. 

2. When the customer starts yelling at you because they are not satisfied but there is nothing you can do about it.

3. When customers try to argue with you that BOGO half (buy one, get one half off) should make the more expensive item half priced. 

4. That moment when you re-fold everything on the table, and you turn around for it to look like a tornado came running through the store.

5. Or when you’re putting back clothes from the fitting room and lap the store about three times because you can’t find where the shirt goes. 

6. When the line is about a mile long and a customer comes in with a large return…with each item on a different receipt. 

7. When a customer in the fitting room hangs up all of their clothing on the hangers and brings them out to you, instead of leaving all the clothes in a crumpled ball in the room.

8. When it’s insanely busy and you’re trying to help everyone but still keep the store clean too.

9. When the customer gives you exact change or a lot of singles after not having many left in your drawer.

10. When a customer comes in and tells you how beautiful it is outside while you’re stuck inside the store all day.

11. When you’re closing and the last customer leaves.

12. And finally when you get to leave after a long, hard day.

Then we get to go to bed and get up to do it all again the next day. At least we all struggle together, Collegiettes!

GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst