The Struggles of Having an Undeclared Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Some people know early on what career path they want to pursue in life, and they know what major will help them get there. Once you’ve entered college it seems like everyone, from your parents and teachers to your great aunt who you see once a year, wants to know what your major will be. A lucky few of us are able to confidently answer those questions without hesitation. And then there’s the rest of us, who are either slightly clueless or completely, hopelessly clueless about what we want to study. If you fit into the latter category, at times, it can seem like society is pressuring you to narrow down your choices, and make that fateful decision. Just know that you are not alone in your struggle. If you are an undeclared major, you can probably relate to the following situations:

1. Almost every familial communication starts/ends with them questioning you about what classes you’re enjoying and if any of them could end up being your major. 

Great Aunt Margaret: “Oh, you like Biology 101? Do you think that could be your major?”

You: “It’s a possibility!”

What you’re thinking: It’s about as much a possibility as anything else since I have literally no idea.

2. You have to listen to your friends talk about their major and having their lives planned out, while you sit there not even knowing what you want for dinner.

Should you get pizza for the second night in a row, or attempt to eat something healthy? You can’t even figure this one out, so forget about picking a major. 

3. You hear the question, “but do you at least have a general idea of what you want to do?” whenever you admit you don’t have a major. 

No really, I’m that undecided. 

4. Picking classes is a struggle because you want to explore so many different fields without overwhelming yourself and still get in your GedEd requirements. 

Well, I have about 20 classes that sound interesting for next semester and I need to narrow it down to 5. 

5. At times you basically feel that you don’t have your life together at all. 

Is it possible that one person can be this confused about what they want?

6. But when you do pick a major, watch out world. You’re gonna rock it. 

Whenever that happens. 

Gifs: cover image, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst