The Struggle of Living Without a Phone for a Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The day was October 8th 2015, 4:30pm. That’s when it happened…I dropped my phone in my Brita filter. 

I did everything I could to save my precious device. But the results were negative, my iPhone 5S was toast (literally, that thing was smoking). I depend on my phone for a lot. It’s my medium for my email, texting, Instagram posting, and (occasionally) calling. Being phone-less for a week took a lot of strength. Here’s how I adapted.

Waking up: The night my phone died, I was getting ready for bed when I subconsciously went to reach for my phone to set my alarm for the next day. I found an alarm app for Google Chrome that I had to use and keep my laptop half closed all night so I could hear it go off. 

Making plans with friends: We had to set exact times and locations to meet because I couldn’t properly text. If friends were late or the location changed, I would be the last one to find out.

Snapchat: I would like to publicly thank my roommate for letting me log in to my Snapchat every day to at least have some kind of communication with the world. 

Music: I’m the type of person that listens to music all the time. From walking to class, to riding the bus, and everything inbetween. Without a phone or iPod, going to the gym became harder because I didn’t have music to motivate me. 

Camera: During the period of me being phone-less, I went on a bike ride to Northampton with a friend when the foliage was at an all time high. There were so many instances when I wanted to stop to take pictures. But there were more times when I began to appreciate what I was actually seeing than through the lens of my phone. 

When I eventually got a new one, I began to really appreciate having a phone. I appreciated the convenience that came with being able to connect with anyone, I wanted at any time. Now, I challenge you, Collegiettes. Put down your phone once in a while and see the beauty that is the world not through the lens of your phone. Also, don’t drop your phone in water. 

Photos/Gifs: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, 8, 9

Chloe Trepanier

U Mass Amherst

Chloe is a Her Campus National Social Media Intern and a senior Communication major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is the Social Media Director for Facebook for the UMass chapter and is the Chairperson of the UMass Theatre Guild. Her hobbies include watching 30 Rock and eating ice cream. You can follow her on Twitter and on Instagram. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst