Career

Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone and Into the City: What I Am Most Looking Forward To in D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As I reflect on the past year, I am in complete shock in the best way possible. I have been recently accepted into the SBS in D.C. program at UMass. Through this program, I have the chance to intern in Washington D.C. While a part of me is nervous to live in a new city, I am mostly excited! Here is what I am most looking forward to this summer. 

Learning how to cook for myself 

I have to admit, I am not a chef. I am really hoping to challenge myself by cooking my own meals this summer. I am excited to create pasta dishes, pizzas, and some new desserts. Learning how to cook will give me a new sense of independence, which will be amazing. I have already saved up some recipes from TikTok and Pinterest that are ready to go this summer!

Navigating a new city 

Throughout quarantine, it was incredibly difficult to sit back on traveling. This past year, I have found a new love and appreciation for traveling. It is fun to surround yourself with a new place and explore. I am excited to spend my summer living in a new city! The last time I was in Washington D.C. was for two and a half days on a middle school field trip. I am excited to go back and really take in the beautiful city. I am looking forward to seeing the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial. In addition to sightseeing, I am excited to soak up new information at local museums.

Trying new foods 

I have always been a picky eater. I am currently trying to stray away from being picky with my food. When you think about it, it truly never hurts to try something new. Since the city is known for having great Ethiopian restaurants, I am looking forward to trying out some dishes! In addition to trying new foods, I would love to support Black-owned restaurants while in the city. Nothing hits more than a full plate of home-cooked soul food! 

The Thrift Stores

Second to traveling, thrifting is one of my favorite hobbies. I love going into a clothing store, not truly knowing what I am looking for, and then leaving with some good steals. Thrifting is especially great in cities since you get a wide variety of clothing styles. I hope to leave D.C. with a new and upgraded sense of style!

Getting in the groove of working a 9 to 5

Interning in Washington D.C. will allow me to get into the groove of working a 9 to 5. It will be amazing to get a taste of what it is like to be a working adult in a professional job, especially in a new city! In addition to figuring out a new routine, I am looking forward to gaining new skills during my internship. Since my internship last year was remote, I never got a taste of what it was like to work in person. I am thrilled that I have the chance to make connections and network in person!

Above all, I am excited to go into this summer with an open mind. Realize that you do not have to be in a completely different city to do this. Take your time in the summer to try new things! While it is scary to go out of your comfort zone, it is where you learn the most about yourself.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Niajah Hyppolite

U Mass Amherst '23

Niajah Hyppolite is currently a senior majoring in Sociology with a minor in Political Science. During her free time she enjoys watching comedies and spending time with her loved ones. She loves reading memoirs and always has a caffeinated beverage in her hand at all times. This is her fifth semester with HerCampus and she is very excited to write!