The Stages of Seeing the Last Movie in a Series You Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we all know, the last movie in the wildly successful Hunger Games series premeried a few weeks ago. The excitement had been building steadily for months, and upon release both the public and critics seemed to agree it was a winner. However, there is a price to being so good: we now all have to live knowing we will never, ever see a new Hunger Games movie again. Here are the stages of going through this emotional process.

1. Excitement

The teaser trailer has officially been released, and you’re beyond excited. You watch it on repeat at least 10 times. You cannot wait for the release date so you can round up all your friends and go see it. 

2. Impatience

You literally cannot wait for the release date. What do you mean it’s still 4 months away? How am I going to pass all that time?

3Elation

The day has finally arrived, and you begin the hourly countdown. In class, you look at the clock to see how many hours you have until the movie finally starts. You already know what you’re wearing to the event, who you’re going with, and what size popcorn you’re getting. You are the picture of preparedness. 

4. Numbness

All of the preparation is over. You’re in the theatre, the lights are dimming, and you are about to finally see the movie. You can’t quite feel anything in this moment except a calm, peaceful sensation. You hope it lives up to your expectations, but honestly, you’re ready for anything. Let it begin. 

5. Bliss

The movie is rolling, and it’s all you’ve ever dreamed of and more. The characters and sets are flawless, and the action is perfectly choreographed. You could not be happier as you stuff your face with popcorn while you cry, laugh, and smile shamelessly. 

6. Pre-ending sadness

You know that the story is almost over, and that your favorite series is finally coming to a close. You desperately savor every last detail of the final scene, knowing that this is the last new footage you will ever experience in this series. 

7. Bone-crushing sadness

It’s over. What are you going to do with your life now? What is there to look forward to? How will you ever experience joy again?

8. Acceptance

You know that nothing will ever replace your favorite series, but you feel blessed just to have been a part of the journey. And you know you’ll be watching them for the rest of your life anyway. 

Gifs and photos: cover photo, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst