Spring Cleaning? Five Ways to Donate in the Amherst Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When the weather gets sunnier, the season changes, and I trade in my wool sweater for a short-sleeve tee, everyone beware: a Marie Kondo-level spring cleaning is about to ensue.

In all seriousness, there is no better pick-me up after a long, cold, and dreary winter than an extensive spring decluttering. 

Just because you are done with an item does not mean it’s trash.

This spring, check out these five spots to sustainably spring clean. 

Hospice Shop of The Fisher Home

Located at 6 University Drive, the Hospice Shop is open to donations every day 10:00 A.M. -2:00 P.M. except Thursday and Sunday. The Hospice Shop is a completely non-profit thrift store, in which all proceeds benefit the Fisher Home in Amherst in providing hospice services to patients. They accept gently used goods ranging anywhere from men and women’s clothing, accessories, houseware, and books. 

I know the whole point of spring cleaning is to get rid of clothes…but after looking at the selection on their website, you might just walk out with more than you brought in.

The Salvation Army

The local Salvation Army, located at 740 Belchertown Road in Amherst is a great place to donate gently used clothing. Although there are several locations surrounding Amherst, this location is by-far the closest to campus.

This donation drop-box is great way to clear up closet space for outgrown or unwanted clothing.

Amherst Survival Center

The Amherst Survival Center is located at 138 Sunderland Road in North Amherst.

First opening their doors in 1976, the Amherst Survival Center aims to help residents of Hampshire and Franklin County with varying community programs to promote overall health and well-being.

Although they have temporarily stopped accepting individual donations of goods, that doesn’t mean there isn’t plenty that can be done to support this organization.

The Amherst Survival Center accepts non-perishable food donations as well as online donations.

On their website, there are also several volunteer opportunities to get involved with!

Emmrick Mccadden-Cans
Emmrick Mccadden / Spoon
Amherst Neigbors

As previously mentioned, donating this spring season doesn’t just mean shoes and clothes. Donating your time is just as needed and important to the community.

Amherst Neighbors is an organization that aims to create neighborly connections, and ultimately, to empower the elderly to remain social and engaged in community. 

Amherst Neighbors is looking for volunteers to contribute their time to help elderly community members remain independent at home. Volunteers provide company while walking, run errands, help with electronics, and assist in many other small tasks that are in need. To become a volunteer, visit the Amherst Neighbors website.

Community

One incredibly easy way to get rid of clothes without sending them to the landfill? Give them to your family and friends.

Ah, the classic hand-me-down. As the youngest of three siblings, I could say a thing or two about hand-me-downs. 

But hand-me-downs don’t have to stop after adolescence. If your friends are anything like mine, they have great style! I would gladly take any of the cute things my friend’s were giving up.

Before throwing out that sweater or pair of jeans, look to your friends and family first! The only thing that could be better than wearing something you love, is seeing someone you love, love it just as much! 

So, as the winter season comes to and end and that ‘donate’ pile grows larger, consider looking a little closer to home this spring cleaning season.

These Amherst organizations are a fantastic way to cleanse your closet while helping your community in the process! Happy cleaning!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Samantha Baldacci

U Mass Amherst '25

Sam is currently a Junior at UMass Amherst studying Biology and Psychology. She enjoys reading, listening to music, aimlessly scrolling on TikTok, and hanging out with friends.