Life > Experiences

Spring Breakers Edition: The Packing Essentials for Tropical Getaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring Break season is upon us, and for those of you who plan to travel somewhere warm, this packing essentials list will surely be your BFF as you plan and pack! For me, I find that the few days before traveling can be a tad stressful because figuring out what I want to pack is challenging along with staying within TSA guidelines. Hopefully this list helps guide you as you jet off to your tropical location! 

For the Sun

These items are my absolute necessities for spending time in the sun. It’s important to take care of your skin when spending a lot of time outdoors, while also wanting to look cute!

• SPF (may have to buy at your destination because of TSA guidelines)
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • 3-5 bathing suits (depending on how long your vacation is, one bathing suit/day is my rule)
  • Beach coverup
  • Aloe (either buy it at your destination or pack it in a 3 fl. oz. bottle)
For You

These are the true essentials to any trip. I tend to pack most of these items in my personal bag so in case anything gets lost during travel, I can at least still keep up with my hygiene. Another big tip I have is to also carry cash along with your credit/debit cards, because some instances can occur where cash is handier. 

• Tooth brush/floss/toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Perfume (under 3 fl. oz.!!)
  • Hair styling tools
  • Press-on nails (once you get good at putting them on, they are a lifesaver) 
  • Face cleanser/moisturizer
  • Makeup 
  • Empty water bottle
  • Passport/IDs/credit cards/cash 
The Fits

The bulk of all the packing lies in the outfits, and luckily clothing for warm places tends to be easier, especially when you roll it up or utilize packing cubes. I buy most of my outfits from Grey Bandit, Shein, or Nasty Gal because these stores have such cute dresses, bathing suits, and sets!

• Underwear/bras/socks
  • 2 dresses
  • 2 sets (look on Grey Bandit/Shein) 
  • PJ’s
  • Jean shorts
  • 2 pairs of jeans (I typically pack a black and a regular wash)
  • 3 tank tops
  • Sneakers
  • Sandals/flip flops
  • Heels/wedges (pick your comfiest pair of heels that goes with most of your outfits)

This list may look long, but I was able to pack most things in a carry-on and personal item. Some items, especially fluid/aerosol products are best to buy once you’re at your location. I was only away for 4 days, so this list can be adjusted to fit your needs for however many days you’re staying. I also tend to wear my bulkiest clothing to the airport to save on space in my suitcases (i.e. my sneakers, jeans, sweatshirt). Another tip I have for packing bathing suits is to choose ones that can mix and match, because then you have more options without overpacking. Above all, the point of spring break is to relax, have fun, and make the best memories with your friends! So, if you forget to pack something, don’t fret because you can always share things with your friends or go out and buy whatever item(s) you may be missing.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Meghan Kean

U Mass Amherst '22

Meghan is a biochemistry major with a business minor at UMass. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, watching true crime, and drinking coffee!