This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring break is just around the corner and excitement is bubbling as students eagerly tell their friends about their upcoming trips all around the world. However, exotic vacations like these are undoubtedly expensive and for many of us students, it is a not a price we are currently able to afford. But don’t fret! There are many exciting yet inexpensive activities that will help you do spring break right without breaking your wallet.

1. Take a trip to a nearby city

Whether it be a vibrant city or a quaint town, turn your break into a mini road trip by hopping in the car with some friends and exploring nearby destinations. This is a great opportunity to discover your new favorite shops or delicious restaurants that you never even knew were so close. You might be surprised what hidden treasures you may uncover just a drive away from your hometown.

2. Go camping

There is no better way to save money on your next adventure than to explore the minimalist ways of camping. It might not sound like the most luxurious spring break, but it is so easy to turn camping into a fun and much needed getaway with friends. All that you need is a tent, some sleeping bags, and a large stash of sweets and junk food to make your camping break memorable.

3. Visit friends at other schools

Want to take a trip to a new place without spending money on hotels or resorts? Take advantage of the fact that different colleges have different spring breaks and shack up with your friends at their University. This will give you a fun and easy opportunity to spend time with your home friends, experience new foods (unlikely as good as the UMass dining), and enjoy the different party scenes.

4. Go thrift shopping

What screams “Save Money!’ more than some frugal thrift shopping? Although at first this might not seem like the most appealing idea, you’ll be surprised what kind of treasures can turn up in the heaps of hand-me-downs and antiques. Take it to the next level by employing the concept of “something borrowed, something new.” Spend the day sifting through the racks of old clothes at places such as a Savers near you and find something that can easily be transformed into a new trendy garment or tailgate shirt with some scissors and a few creative ideas.

5. Head to the beach

This might seem like an obvious option for those of you who live in warm climate areas, but for those of you who cannot yet escape the chilly leftovers of winter, do not completely rule out the idea of beach days in March. Even if it is too cold for tanning and swimming, taking a stroll along the sandy banks and collecting sea glass can still be a way to make your spring break feel like a vacation even if you are not traveling far. Grab some friends or your significant other and enjoy a bonfire or nice waterside picnic. You might be surprised how easily you can transform a desolate beach into a special, secluded “vacation” destination.

6. Have a movie marathon

Although it may not initially sound like the most thrilling or adventurous vacation activity, what better way is there to take a break from the semester than to binge watch your favorite shows and movies? Snuggle up on a couch, grab some popcorn and ice cream, and enjoy the fact that you have absolutely no other responsibilities than to be the audience for some great film. If you get bored and want a change of scenery, take your marathon to the theater where you can watch new movie arrivals like A Wrinkle in Time and Red Sparrow.

7. Try some new fitness classes

Many of us entered 2018 with resolutions to exercise more, but we shortly realized how difficult it really is to balance physical fitness with our other countless responsibilities such as school, work, and social life. Take this week off as an opportunity to try out those fitness classes that you always wanted to join, but never had the time for. Whether it be spin class or yoga, exercise is a great way to relieve stress and come back to school feeling refreshed!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Erica Dougherty

U Mass Amherst '21

Erica is a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is an Operations and Information Management major in the Isenberg School of Management and she enjoys utilizing Her Campus as a creative outlet for her more artistic side. Erica loves spending time with friends, watching movies, and eating ice cream!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst