This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When you think of spring break, you may think of a getaway with your closest friends, relaxing but also having fun at the same time. But spring break doesn’t always have to be with just friends, but rather can be enjoyed with family too. Going on a cruise with my family was one of the last things I thought would happen to me for my spring break, but I underestimated the outcome of it and loved every minute of it with them. Here are a few aspects of the cruise I enjoyed alongside my family.

1. The Pool Deck

The pool deck was where I spent the majority of time with my family, whether it was lounging and basking in some sun while reading, or watching the entertainment the cruise line set up for the day. I found myself here the most during the duration of the cruise, as I wanted to soak in as much sun as possible before I left back to the dull and cold winter of Massachusetts. The pool deck included several pools, water parks, a small buffet bar, beverage bars, and lounging areas, all on just one level.

2. The Casino

Though our ages vary, my family and I found ourselves after a great dinner in the cruise casino. Whether that be participating or watching others, we found a good amount of fun in the casino.

3. Late-night pizza

Besides the activities and entertaining aspects of the cruise, my family and I always found ourselves grabbing a slice of pizza or two after a late night. This made a great way to talk about the night, as we would split up to do our own thing or meet up to do things together.

4. island activities

Our cruise line docked at the Bahamas, but more specifically an island called Coco Kay. Here we were able to go to different water parks, lounge at the beach or pool, eat the buffet, or enjoy the drinks from the bar. Here my family and I enjoyed staying by the beach and relaxing though we did explore the island and found different activities you could do, such as zip lining, jet skiing, kayaking and so much more.

5. Ice skating

Yes, the cruise does include a skating rink to skate on! Our family found ourselves here just out of curiosity and found it to be one of the most fun activities we had explored while on the cruise. Though the rink was not large and was very crowded, we still managed to make it still fun and enjoyable.

Overall, spring break does not always have to be enjoyed with friends, but can be enjoyed with family. Doing these activities with my family made it enjoyable and unforgettable memories with them that I will cherish.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Hannah Corcoran

U Mass Amherst '23

Hannah is a senior at UMass Amherst, she is studying English with minors in both Psychology and Education. She enjoys reading and writing on her spare time.