Style > Fashion

Spring 2022: My Wardrobe Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The Spring semester is definitely one of my favorites in terms of dressing up around campus. Because I’m from Nigeria where it’s hot all year round, being at Amherst gives me a good opportunity to dabble in winter clothing and experiment with my style. This semester especially, I feel like I’m more interested in purchasing particular classic items I can invest in, rather than giving into fast fashion trends. Here are a few staples that have caught my eye:

1. Corduroy: This is probably my favorite rediscovery of the semester — anything from corduroy pants to corduroy jackets are what I’m seeing all over my Instagram. I specifically bought myself a pair of brown corduroy skater pants from Zumiez, they’re very breathable and go with any sort of earth-toned outfit.
  2. Turtleneck thermals: I find these especially useful during those super cold days where you want to mix up style and practicality. Wearing these under a crew-neck sweatshirt or layering them with a knitted vest are two of my preferred ways to style them. My favorite ones are these from Uniqlo — they’re super affordable & do a great job at keeping you warm.
  3. Flared pants: These have certainly stuck around since the Fall semester. I feel like this style of pant is flattering on all body types, regardless of if you wear them in the form of leggings, jeans, or anything else you find. I wear these ones from Aerie and I’ve managed to get my friends on these too!
  4. Scarves: Scarves are the new big thing for the winter, at least thats what I happen to be noticing online + offline. I first saw it get big via Bella Hadid, who simply threw a scarf around her neck and styled it with a leather jacket and earmuffs. I’m honestly still trying to find a style that works for me on the daily, but I also find the balaclava tie-up very flattering and something new to try.
  5. Trench coats: These are definitely an investment if you decide to get one, because when it comes to classic staples like this, my biggest tip is to go quality over anything. You can style these with almost anything and everything if you want to kick your outfit up a notch — chunky black boots, a monochromatic look underneath, and maybe even a scarf on top could be a classy way to step out onto campus.
  6. Tote bags: I find that a quality tote bag will do you good to substitute for your backpack on days you’re feeling like breaking out of the monotony. I got this corduroy (are you surprised?) tote bag from Urban Outfitters that is really good quality and holds my laptop and notebooks perfectly well. It’s a cute little addition to an outfit you want to ramp up!
  7. Statement accessories: On days when you don’t feel like stepping out of your comfort zone and want to stay in your hoodie and sweats, you can add a statement accessory to make it look like you’ve put effort into your outfit. I try to attempt the minimal chic look by adding a cute hair clip, mini hoops, and layered necklaces to my comfy outfits. You can do the same, or experiment with other things like chunky boots, pearl necklaces, or embellished hair clips. Taking a little inspiration from Euphoria outfits is what I love doing!

These are some of my ideas for how to take my outfit to the next level, but if you have any other ideas to spice up your outfit in this slowly changing weather, don’t be afraid to experiment and see what works for you!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Vaidehi Bhatia

U Mass Amherst '23

Vaidehi is a writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst chapter. She is a graduate having majored in Informatics on the Data Science Track with a minor in Business. Enjoy the articles about fashion, beauty, relatable college experiences & wellbeing, and feel free to reach out on LinkedIn or Instagram!