The Sochi Winter Olympics 2014 Men’s Figure Skating: Jason Brown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If I’m going to be completely honest here, then I might as well start with this. I absolutely LOVE the Olympics! I am really not a competitive person, but seriously, watch out because once the Olympics sports begins, I am one intense fan. With this being said, the Winter Olympics has always been a bit lacking.  There are not as many sports and competitors, creating a need of excitement.

One of Team USA’s figure skaters turned that around for me this season.

This is Jason Brown.

A native of Illinois, Jason started figure skating at the tender age of five. Now, at only 19 years old, he went to his first Olympic games in Sochi.  He was not expected to take a place on the team, but he clearly proved that he deserved it. Not only is he an absolute sweetheart, but he is in love with his sport.  Watching him skate, you can just feel how much fun he is having on the ice. He is one the few skaters whom I have seen create such a feeling of enjoyment in the crowd.  Jason has this way of dancing on the ice, making ice skating appear like some breathtaking form of art.  If you want proof, just watch his Riverdance at the US Chamionships below!  It is this performance that landed him 1st place for the free skate and 2nd place for the championships. His free skate has gone viral on Youtube, with a whopping 4.1 million views.

When asked about his sudden viral fame on a conference call, his only response was, “I don’t even know what to say, it’s so shocking. It’s so mind-blowing, I don’t even know where to start.”

On Thursday, February 13th for his short program, Brown was in sixth place overall. On Friday, February 14th, after his free skate, Brown finished ninth in his first Olympics. After such an amazing season, imagine what Jason Brown will do in his 2018 Winter Olympics!

I can hardly wait for his next Olympics to see how much better he has gotten. He is sure to astound us and make us all smile.

And, as always, go Team USA!

Anastasia Armstrong. English Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst