This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Small businesses are the backbone of our economy. TikTok provides an excellent advertising platform for small businesses to get more exposure than normal. All it takes is one video to blow up and get hundreds of thousands of views and sales tend to skyrocket. Here are some of my favorite small businesses I like to keep up with!

Appalachian Standard

Appalachian Standard is a veteran-family-owned craft hemp farm in Asheville, North Carolina. They sell CBD salve, CBD tincture, and other hemp products. All products can be shipped nationwide as they contain trace levels of THC below the federal limit. I have the CBD salve and omg I love it

Perhaps my favorite part of Appalachian Standard is their gem of a human Lauren (@fiddyshadesofgreen on TikTok). On her account, Lauren gives an inside look into greenhouse life and the inner workings of the company. She is constantly giving recommendations and educating her followers about the benefits of CBD for things like anxiety, sleep issues, and relieving pain and inflammation. Her personality is like sunshine and that convinced me to buy the salve.

Valley of Heroes, Tjentište , Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nikola Majksner

Mount Lai

Mount Lai, founded by esthetician Stephanie Zheng, is an Asian female-owned beauty brand rooted in Traditional Chinese medicine. The brand offers a holistic and natural approach to skincare, specializing in tools like facial rollers and gua sha. With the gua sha technique circulating TikTok and celebs like Lizzo trying it out, Mount Lai was constantly being recommended as it is both female and Asian-owned

The company’s TikTok page, which has just about 190k followers, posts videos about how to properly use their products, how to clean the tools, and the history and benefits behind the skincare rooted in traditional Chinese medicine. 

Kali Jewelers

This small business popped up on my For You Page a few weeks ago and I have been obsessed ever since. Kali Jewelers is a South Asian-owned company that creates “desi statement pieces for the diaspora.” Their pieces are bold and quite beautiful. I am always on the lookout for pieces that are modern and affordable, and Kali has just that. Currently eyeing their Sejal Necklace Set for the next Indian wedding I go to. 

The Starfish Project

Girls Crew

Another jewelry company I have been loving lately is Girls Crew. They have some really cute high-quality pieces that are quite unique. My personal favorites are their stackable rings and their earring sets with themes, like “Say Cheese” studs, which are a piece of cheese and a mouse in the cutest possible way. 

Small businesses are so important! I’m so glad the TikTok algorithm knew I’d love these businesses and I can’t wait to discover more. Keep an eye out for companies that come across your For You Page; you may just find something you love. Shop small and support small businesses!

Karishma Mistry

U Mass Amherst '23

Karishma is the Editor-in-Chief and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in public health and economics. Some of her passions include advocating for female health, reading, and anything involving food. As a dual citizen of the US and UK, she loves to travel. Feel free to follow her on Instagram @karishmamiistry or her foodstagram @munchinwk.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst