Skip the Superspreader Party This Weekend and Try These Fun Activities Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

College is normally a time to let loose, meet new people, and have fun. However, this year has been anything but normal, as we pass the one-year mark of the pandemic in the U.S.. This semester, constant parties make the news and cause cases to rise. It’s definitely not easy to feel like you’re missing out on “the best four years of your life,” but breaking guidelines will just make the restrictions last even longer. Here are some things to try to prevent Zoom burnout and hang out with your friends while staying safe!

Support small businesses or just go shopping!

There’s nothing better than blasting your favorite music and taking a trip to a cute new store. Check and see if there are any thrift stores or small businesses that you can drive or get the bus to, and make a fun day trip with your friends! Even picking out plants at Home Depot or trying new things from Trader Joes is a nice escape from your dorm.

Rearrange or decorate your room

Your room is now functioning as a classroom and a living area, so it’s important that it’s a cozy and comfortable place to spend time! Scrolling through Pinterest and getting some DIY inspiration or even just rearranging your furniture is a great way to freshen up your space.

Get outside!

No matter how busy you are, getting fresh air will always help you reset and feel better for the week. If the weather is nice on the weekend, see if there are any walking trails or farms with animals nearby, or try catching a pretty spring sunset.

Try some new food

Whether it’s cooking a new meal or getting brunch at a restaurant you’ve never tried before, getting food is a great way to spend time with your friends and get out of your comfort zone. You could even try organizing an outdoor picnic!

Virtual options for long distances

If you’re missing your family or friends from other colleges, don’t underestimate the power of Zoom, Netflix Party, and virtual games like trivia or Pictionary! There are tons of ways for you to stay connected with anyone far away from you without breaking travel restrictions.

Although I know it’s difficult not being back to normal yet (believe me, I never thought that going to Home Depot would be a fun college weekend activity, but here we are), it’s more important than ever that you keep staying safe and following your school’s rules. When you chose to break guidelines, you’re not only impacting other students but also the staff and faculty who come to work every day at your school. Huge parties just aren’t worth it, and you might even find a new favorite spot or creative outlet by spending your weekends a little differently.

Katherine Dickey

U Mass Amherst '24

Katherine Dickey is currently an environmental conservation major at UMass and is interested in education, film, and sustainability. Outside of school, Katherine loves playing piano, making vegetarian food, and spending time outside at the beach. She is super excited to be a member of CHAARG, PITCH, and Her Campus at UMass!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst