This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There is something so special about receiving handwritten mail. It is a feeling that truly cannot be replicated by a simple text or email. Here are some reasons as to why you should start writing more letters to those who are dear to you. Hopefully, this can serve as some inspiration for future letter writers!

find a pen pal

As someone who loves making friends from different places all over the world and talking to people with a variety of interests and lifestyles, having a pen pal was a special experience. It even gave me one of the best friendships that I still maintain today. I met my pen pal during my sophomore year of high school during quarantine, when I was searching for different ways to spend my time. I am a fairly social person, so being cut off from discovering new friendships was difficult for me. I missed connecting with new people, and because I love writing, I had the idea to find a pen pal. This was something that had always been on my “to-do” list that I had never made time for. I met my pen pal through Instagram, but those who do not have national or international online friends can utilize Internet resources such as Global Penfriends or PenPal. Both of these sites are designed to connect users with pen pals from a variety of backgrounds. Finding a pen pal is a good way to genuinely engage with someone through the intimate form of letter writing. Taking the time out of your day to write to a stranger creates the possibility for a lifelong friendship, as well as some good memories along the way.

letters to self

Another way to start writing letters is to use letter writing as a tool for self-reflection. Letter writing can be used as a coping mechanism or as a space to vent and express yourself without the fear of judgment from others. The connection between the writer and the paper does not have to be seen by anyone else. If there is a letter that you want to write to someone, but for certain reasons, you do not want them to read it or they are unable to receive it, try writing a letter with no intention of sending it. I have a little section of my journal dedicated to letters people will never read. I use this as a way to get thoughts and emotions off my chest in a private way. The practice of writing also allows your brain to interact with your body through physical activity, which can be helpful to those who experience physical disassociation when anxious. In this way, writing a letter can be a coping mechanism in times of distress.

Writing as a creative outlet

People call letter-writing art for a reason! Get creative with it and find your inner artist. I love receiving and sending letters with personal touches; it makes it all the more special. Try adding some glitter glue, little drawings, special stamps, items, or anything else to make your letter more unique. Calligraphy is one fun detail that can be used in letter writing, so if you are looking for a new hobby, this can definitely be an impressive one. People like to receive things that show obvious time and thought, which is why people love getting letters. It does not have to be a time-consuming process, either. Put on your favorite playlist and set a timer for thirty minutes. Send a letter to your grandmother, an old friend, or anyone else you want to keep in contact with. Expressing your creativity through writing letters is a valid form of art, and creativity keeps life interesting.

Hopefully, this article served as future letter-writing inspiration. Take a trip to your local paper store and pick out some cute stationery, a pen you like, and some pretty stamps, and start writing your next letter! There is nothing to lose in writing a letter to someone you love, or just for the sake of it. Maybe even write a letter to your local mailman! Letter writing is an art form that will never go out of style. Letters are a tangible piece of love and appreciation for those who receive them, and they are taken for granted far too often.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Victoria Williams

U Mass Amherst '26

Victoria Williams is a freshman at UMass Amherst, majoring in Sustainable Community Development. In her free time, you can find Victoria hiking with the Outdoors Club, thrifting, or practicing guitar.