Sigma Kappa in the Walk To End Alzheimer’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The sister of Sigma Kappa at UMass participated in the Walk To End Alzheimer’s this past Sunday, September 24th at Holyoke Community College. The walk is the nation’s largest event for Alzheimer’s care, support, and research. Every year the sisters of Sigma Kappa participate in this walk. This year their Vice President of Philanthropy, Brittany Chapman, ran the Sigma Kappa team.  Not only did she recruit the whole chapter to walk but even their House Chef came out to support them. She also recruited other members of the Greek community to join. Pi Kappa Phi, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Kappa Sigma all participated in the walk and assisted the sisters in their fundraising efforts. Their support was greatly appreciated by the sisters.

However, Sigma Kappa didn’t just stop there; this summer Brittany set up a fundraiser with a company, called Boats and Bows, that made hair bows. They set up a deal where you could order purple hair bows with the Alzheimer’s awareness ribbon on it. You also had the option of adding your monogram or adding Sigma Kappa on to it. Other chapters around the country purchased the bows to support the sisters in their fundraising efforts. In the end the company would donate the majority of the profits to Sigma Kappa for the walk. The sisters ended up raising over $500 with this fundraiser and got some wicked cute bows to rock at the walk.

The walk began at 9:30am with the Remembrance Ceremony where walkers shared their touching stories of loved ones. At 10:00am the walk around the college began. The sisters proudly walked along with their other Greek supporters and their chef. The walk also had great activities like face painting, dance parties, vendors, but the most meaningful event is the promise garden. This is where you get a flower pinwheel. Each color represents a different effect the disease has on people. Purple if you have lost someone, Orange if you are a supporter of the cause, yellow if you are a caregiver, and blue if you have it yourself. Once you get your flower you write something inspirational, memorable, or encouraging on it. Once that is complete you place your flower in the promise garden, promising to honor, care, remember, and fight the disease. After the walk, the sisters gathered up their flowers and brought them home to decorate their house and remember why they participate in such a wonderful cause.

The sisters of Sigma Kappa make this promise every year. Sigma Kappa is the second largest donator to this cause. This year the UMass Chapter of Sigma Kappa has raised over $5,000. Their efforts are truly amazing. If you would like to help donate to this wonderful cause you can follow the link here and donate to the Sigma Kappa team!

Kelsey Rowland

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst