Shirley Temple: The Woman Behind The Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me (meaning you’re under 21), you understand the pain of going to weddings/events, and feeling young or out of place without a drink in your hand. Also, if you’re anything like me, you understand the relief of a Shirley Temple. Deliciously packed with Sprite and a cherry kick, this virgin drink allows for a tasteful experience, and ability to look a bit older than you are.

This popular drink is a haven for us younger girls, however, not many of us know the story about the woman behind the drink’s name. This past year, we lost someone who transformed from a child star to a strong and ambitious political figure. Shirley Temple took the path less traveled by, and proved that not all who grow up in the public eye turn out to be a hot mess (i.e. Amanda Bynes).

She began as an adorable and talented child, being very well known for her role in Bright Eye (as well as for her blonde curls). She transformed into a beautiful and fearless US Ambassador to both Ghana and Czechoslovakia. Shirley Temple’s death this past February was a huge loss and also a great time to reflect on her accomplishments and what we as women can take away from them.

As Shirley’s acting and singing peaked during the Great Depression, she served as a source of enjoyment for those going through one of the worst times in America’s history. Franklin Roosevelt even gave Temple recognition, referring to her as “Little Miss Miracle.” This brings me to the first lesson from Shirley Temple…

You’re never too young to make a difference, or to have the courage to do so. Shirley Temple wasn’t even old enough to have had her first kiss, yet her face was a symbol of inspiration, innocence, and the future. We commonly force negative thoughts upon ourselves, thinking that at our age, our say isn’t enough to make a difference. Shirley disproves this, and it’s something we all can take away.

After serving in a countless number of films, acting and singing was no longer enough to fill her big ambitions. She wanted more, and she wasn’t going to stop until she accomplished it. After she unsuccessfully ran for Congress in the 60s, she became a US Ambassador for both Ghana and Czechoslovakia. As a beloved child star, some criticized her and found it hard to rid themselves of her previous image of bouncy curls and giggles. She said, “I have no trouble being taken seriously as a woman and a diplomat here, my only problems have been with Americans who, in the beginning, refused to believe I had grown up since my movies.” She also reminded people that her 19 years as a child star were less than her 20 years as a political figure. Her humbled attitude introduces our next lesson…

There is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself, and giving yourself credit for hard work. Too often we reflect attention off of ourselves, and it’s perfectly fine to be confident about your accomplishments. It’s also perfectly fine to speak up for yourself in a respectful way.

During the 70s, Shirley Temple developed breast cancer. After her surgery, she openly informed the world of her condition and informed the public on the details of her surgery. Women respected that, and Shirley fearlessly won her battle. Doing this, she also became the first woman to be appointed Chief Of Protocol in the United States. A final lesson to take away from Shirley Temple may be the most important one of all. Women definitely battle with their role in society and it is very important to remember….

You can be beautiful and intelligent; we shouldn’t let society decide which we will represent. Contrary to popular belief, good looks can come with a great set of brains. Take this lesson from Shirley herself, as her flawless features mirrored perfectly with her dedication and sophistication.

Sources: 12.

Photo Sources: 12, 3.

Leah Mertes

U Mass Amherst

Leah Mertes is a freshman at UMASS Amherst, studying Communications. She began working and writing for Her Campus second semester of her freshman year, and fell in love immediately. She loves the independence involved in writing, and has many article ideas to come! Leah also spends a lot of her year volunteering, especially during Spring Break when she travels to Honduras. Leah works in Northampton MA, for an organization named Kaya, coordinating international volunteer programs. Aside from work and school she loves her two cats, and spending time back home in Holyoke, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst