This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Smoothie bowls, in particular acai bowls, are my guilty pleasure. They are one of my favorite treats year round. The refreshingly cold, yet creamy consistency topped with granola, fresh berries, coconut, and chia seeds with honey drizzled on top is something I dream about. However, acai bowls can get expensive! After my wallet was drained from trips to my local acai bowl places, I decided it was time to make my own. Acai bowls can be difficult to perfect: sometimes they’ll be too watery, too frozen, too hard to blend, too sour, or too sweet. After a few years of trial and error, I think I have got it down, so here are some tips and tricks to achieving the perfect acai or smoothie bowl!

The Fruit

As a novice acai bowl chef, I first made the fatal mistake of using too much fresh fruit. The moisture from fresh berries will lead to the bowl being too watery. To avoid the looser consistency, stick with this combination: one frozen acai berry packet, about one cup of mixed frozen berries, and one whole banana. If you don’t have acai simply add more frozen berries or other frozen fruit of your choosing. And of course, change up the recipe to your liking! One of my personal favorite acai bowls I have ever made was by adding half a banana and chopped mango instead of a whole banana! If you want to make it healthier and get your greens and protein in, add a spoonful of vanilla protein powder and a handful of spinach. Smoothie bowls are truly customizable.  

Blending

To make the blending process easier, make sure to add a liquid. About 2 tablespoons of a liquid of your choice such as coconut water, milk, or orange juice should make everything run smoothly. If your mixture isn’t blending, push it down into the blender and add another splash. You may need to repeat this a few times. You want the mixture to be smooth and creamy yet still thick, similar to soft-serve ice cream consistency.

The Toppings

Of course, after achieving the perfect consistency comes the best part of the acai bowl making process… the toppings! Pick your favorite toppings and layer them onto your bowl. My favorites are granola, coconut chips, chia seeds, cacao nibs, and chopped strawberries and mango, with a drizzle of honey. To change it up, add granola at the bottom of the bowl followed by the acai mixture and then the rest of your toppings.

Acai bowls are delicious but pricey. Although the task of making one yourself is daunting, the results are oh so worth it. Acai bowls are also the perfect dorm room creation. If you find yourself with frozen fruit and a blender, give it a shot! And don’t forget to get creative! Test out new recipes, combinations, and toppings. Have fun and happy eating.

Images: 1, 2, 3

Karishma Mistry

U Mass Amherst '23

Karishma is the Editor-in-Chief and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in public health and economics. Some of her passions include advocating for female health, reading, and anything involving food. As a dual citizen of the US and UK, she loves to travel. Feel free to follow her on Instagram @karishmamiistry or her foodstagram @munchinwk.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst