This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Recent news has been released stating that unless society drastically changes our way of life by 2030, global warming effects could be irreversible. The IPCC (the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) has stated that if we continue down the track we are on of releasing high amounts greenhouse gas into the air, we could face a 1.5-degree Celsius increase of warming on our earth. This rise in temperature will potentially cause more natural disasters, higher temperatures, and heat waves causing the extinction of animals, melting in the Arctic and more. Society needs to take this seriously and figure out a way to reverse the damage we have already done, and prevent it from getting worse. One brand that is, and has been taking action is called Earthbrands

Founder Anne Kalso created her first shoe with the original goal of improving posture and helping with chronic foot and body pain. Today, Earthbrands goal is to improve a person’s overall quality of life, from the shoes they wear on their feet, to the earth they walk on every day. From the beginning of the shoemaking process, Earth takes environmental precautions. They use water-based adhesives to make the shoes which is less damaging to the air and workers health compared to chemical-based adhesives. They use a vegetable-tanning process for their leather instead of chemical tanning. Earth’s environmentally friendly boxes are glue and staple free and made from recycled materials. Finally, their warehouse is partnered with Sole Technology, a production company that is powered on solar panels, who have dropped their water usage by 35%, and who recycles 65% of all waste. Earth is also partnered with Trees for the Future, a non-profit organization that plants a tree every time a shoe is boughten.

The Comfort

I myself own two pairs of Earth shoes, and I can without a doubt say they are the most comfortable shoes I own. From the first time I wore them, I never got a blister or had any foot pain “breaking them in”. Earthbrands has different footwear brands within their company, each with a different purpose. There’s Earth, which is a contemporary style shoe, “Earthies” which have molded footbed technology to give the utmost support, the “Kalso Earth Shoe” that has negative heels, and “Earth Origins” for all-day comfort. This article is not sponsored in any way, I just absolutely love these shoes and think everyone needs a pair in their life. Especially as a college student, these shoes will give you comfort all day when walking to class. You can shop Earthbrands on their website, or use their store locator to find a store near you! 

Sources: 12

Photos: 12

Madison Bethune

U Mass Amherst '21

Madison is a sophomore at Umass Amherst majoring in Nutrition and Journalism. Some of her interests include health and wellness, art and photography, and she loves going to the beach and spending time with friends. Feel free to follow her Instagram @maddybethune_
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst