Saudi Prince Speaks Out Against Ban on Women’s Driving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Buckle your seatbelts, Collegiettes: a Saudi prince has issued a public statement denouncing the country’s ban on women’s driving.

On November 30th, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal’s office published an argument discussing the socio-economic benefits of allowing women to drive—Saudi Arabia is the only nation in the world which prohibits females from getting behind the wheel. Though the prince is not a a political figure, his statements are still important in a country with such a huge gender divide. In fact, females in Saudia Arabia only just won the right to vote, and the country operates under a male guardianship system; in other words, women need the permission of a male relative to marry, obtain a passport, and participate in other critical tasks. The prince’s plan outlines a number of points:

1. The ban isn’t cost-effective for families.

Since women can’t drive, families often must often pay for taxis or hire foreign drivers. Not only is this expensive, but some Muslims perceive this as a violation of Sharia law. According to the prince, women being able to drive their own cars could save families some cash.

2. The ban takes a toll on the economy.

Because women can’t run errands by themselves, men must often leave work in order to drive their wives and children places. This means less productivity, which is harmful to the workforce.

3. Driving is a necessity, not a luxury.

Prince Alwaleed bin Talal quoted data from the Saudi Ministry of Labor and Social Development, stating that there are around 1,600,000 working women in Saudi Arabia. With these numbers, it’s clear that being able to drive is no longer a question of triviality—these ladies need to be able to get to work.  “Circumstances have changed, and having women drive has become an urgent social demand predicated upon current economic circumstances,” he wrote. Additionally, women not being able to get to work discourages them from persuing careers.

4. Religiously, it’s a touch hypocritical.

Saudi Arabia’s legal system is based on Sharia law, which is what prohibits women from driving: a fear for women’s “safety and virtue.” However, Prince Alwaleed bin Talal makes the point that a number of other rulings are violated on a daily basis, such as a ruling which indicates that a woman should not be alone with a man who is not her legal guardian.  

Although one Saudi prince saying “Women should be able to drive” may not seem like a huge deal, this is a huge breakthrough in a country notorious for its lack of women’s rights.  One small step for Saudi Arabia, one giant step for womankind.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Leah Rosenfield

U Mass Amherst '20

Professional ice skater and polisci major; Lover of all things travel-related or glittery.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst