Run! Don’t walk to Trader Joe’s for these items.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Trader Joe’s is an award winning supermarket with locations in 42 states. It is known for its diverse array of produce and meats and original products while also giving off a cool tiki vibe. I am lucky enough to now live very close to one, and get excited each week to enter the facility. 

My roommates and I are always on the lookout for new things to try and Trader Joe’s has a large supply for our demands. Over this past year, we have collectively begun to establish essentials that must be at home in our fridge and in cupboards at all times. 

Grocery Shopping
Photo by Mehrad Vosoughi from Unsplash

So, coming from a list gathered by myself and roommates, I am taking it upon myself to tell you to run, and not walk, to your nearest Trader Joe’s and raid the shelves for these items. I promise you, a sprint may not even be fast enough. 

Broccoli and Cauliflower Patties

Found in the freezer aisle with the frozen burgers with a green slender packaging. These are perfect to heat up on a pan with an egg and add so much flavor for a fast and healthy breakfast. 

12 Mini Mint Ice Cream Mouthfuls

Found in the ice cream freezer section with green packaging. These are a perfect dessert. In between an ice cream sandwich and thin mint or soft oreo, they are sure to curve any sweet craving you have. 

a grocery store produce wall
nrd | Unsplash

Handmade Flour Tortillas

My personal favorite. Found in the bread aisle. These tortillas are perfect for so many things. I use them for breakfast burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas and could probably use them for so many other things. They are delicious and come in two different sizes. 

Thai Yellow Curry Sauce

Found with other condiments usually next to a variety of different cooking oils and spices. This sauce is delicious and easy to use. What I do is steam vegetables and add this sauce in, to then simmer for a bit until ready to serve. It has a beautiful flavor and makes for a fast and fun meal. 

Mediterranean Style Hummus

Found with all the other refrigerated dips. This hummus is perfect on just about anything. As a snack with carrots or in a salad or wrap. It is smooth and creamy and also contains a good portion of garlic. So if you are not a fan of garlic, steer clear. 

Chocolate Hummus

Located with the other dips and hummus. This is a perfect chocolate snack that is a very healthy alternative when your sweet tooth kicks in. Pairing it with fruit is delicious. 

Hummus
Christin Urso / Spoon

Everything but the Bagel Seasoning 

This one you have probably already heard of. Located with the other spices. This seasoning can go on just about everything and has a permanent home in the spice cabinet. It goes well on bagels, eggs, avocados and just about everything else. 

Ghost Pepper Potato Chips

Can be found in the chip aisle. This is a fun and spicy snack to try with friends and test who has the highest tolerance for spicy. They may not seem so spicy after the first or second chip, but by the tenth, things start to heat up. Keep water near you.  

Of course, there are so many more gems that can be found at Trader Joe’s. That is what makes going so fun. The experience of going to this grocery store is just as good as trying the products they make. If you ever have the chance to go and try these listed above, I highly encourage you!

Logan Lornell

U Mass Amherst '22

Logan Lornell is a Senior at UMass Amherst and is a communications major with a psychology minor. Logan has a passion for beauty, fitness, health, fashion and travel. She is excited to be apart of Her Campus and to share her thoughts and experiences on a range of topics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst