Run, Don’t Walk to Watch the Netflix Special “Hasan Minhaj: The King’s Jester”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I was sitting on my couch just looking for something to watch on Netflix with my brother. All of a sudden, I remembered hearing something about Hasan Minhaj and his new Homecoming King special on Netflix. I had already followed him through social media so my brother and I decided to start watching and could not stop laughing throughout the special.

Coming from a South Asian family, we were able to relate to a lot of his jokes about having immigrant parents and how they like keeping secrets but then magically tell you years later when it has no relevance. He also talks about the serious side of being brown in America like how his family faced racism after the 9-11 attack on the twin towers. My brother and dad wear a turban and have also faced racism at school or just simply walking on the street in the city. The recently released Netflix comedy special Hasan Minhaj: The King’s Jester is equally hilarious and allows us to see what Hasan has been up to since the last special was released five years ago and his comedy show Patriot Act wrapped up filming. 

It is really inspiring to see another American-Indian following their dreams and receiving so much fame around the world. If you also come from a South Asian background, you know that it is not common for kids to pursue non-traditional career paths like being a comedian, DJ, or even a journalist. Many younger students are trained from a young age to pursue a STEM career or become a lawyer. Hasan Minhaj did go to UCLA and graduated as a political science major. He then decided to apply to law school but never actually attended. However, he still addresses politics in his comedy and is a legend for not succumbing to the pressure of society and still becoming so successful through being persistent and having his passion for comedy along with activism shine through. It is extremely difficult to have the natural ability to make people laugh along with switching back and forth from being serious or emotional to making jokes about pissing off Saudi Arabians and Indians taking pictures with him “for clout.” 

Although I am not a political science major, watching these Netflix specials and Patriot Act inspired me to dig deeper in regards to the various political issues facing the U.S. today. His activist mindset inspired me to take part in the Community Scholars Program where you learn about community organizing, political advocacy, and how to vision a fair and just society where everyone is truly equal. Hasan Minhaj gets a lot more personal in this Netflix special revealing how his comedy did somewhat affect his family life and he even got a letter being sued by Alden Global Capital, a company owned by Randall Smith. 

Overall, this Netflix special highlights the success received by Hasan Minhaj but also the dark side that can come with receiving a large amount of attention. I really enjoyed watching it and recommend it to other South Asians or anyone who enjoys having a good laugh or is interested in politics. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.