Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Rory Gilmore Fall: Turning Amherst Into Your Own Stars Hollow

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, it’s obligatory to start a season-long binge of Gilmore Girls — arguably the best show to make the most of summer’s departure! With over 150 episodes, I typically find myself becoming envious of the Gilmores’ love and appreciation for all things fall, and wonder how I can create a cozy fall ambiance similar to that of the beloved Stars Hollow.

Are you striving to become Amherst’s caffeine-fueled academic weapon by day and a town role model by night? If so, throw on your comfiest cable-knit sweater and keep reading for tips and tricks to embrace your inner Rory Gilmore!

Explore Nearby CAFés

If you’re looking to hunker down at a friendly yet quaint coffee shop, look no further. Amherst has some of the best coffee shops that are bound to provide stellar service and an even better cup of coffee! Although Luke (most likely) won’t be your barista, who can possibly say no to a delicious hot coffee on a crisp fall morning? Definitely not Rory Gilmore!

As a college student, my veins are comprised solely of coffee, so finding a designated spot where I can get my caffeine fix for the day and simultaneously be in a productive work environment is an absolute must. Almost serving as a parallel to Luke’s is The Works Café in downtown Amherst. Located on a cute corner street just like Stars Hollow’s own Luke’s, The Works literally invites you to work! Serving up fresh and affordable breakfast and lunch, this Gilmore-standard coffee is genuinely the best in town and has me visiting multiple times per day. Although your stay may not be bombarded by Kirk, Miss Patty, or Taylor, tons of friendly faces will be more than happy to converse or lend a welcoming smile.

Just remember, behind every successful person is a substantial amount of coffee!

Find your “Tree”

Remember that weird episode where Rory becomes oddly defensive over a tree? You heard me right, a tree… someone stole her so-called “study tree”. Well, after countless days of struggling to find a secluded study spot on campus, I found it much easier to sympathize with Rory and am here to tell you the premise of a “study tree” isn’t all that strange.

Finding an obscure campus study spot not only makes it easier to concentrate and be completely in tune with your work, but it also allows others to view you as an exceptionally studious force, one to be reckoned with. Some of my personal favorites are the Studio Arts Building, particularly the creativity-inducing Atrium, the field between Central and O-Hill, which is the perfect to watch the sunset as you hit the books, and the willow tree on Southwest Circle!

Regardless, make a space of your own! We rarely see Rory studying in her room, and for good reason; you have to experience and navigate the world to make a change. Happy studying!

Get Involved

Realistically, Rory Gilmore is the original Renaissance woman. From keeping a 4.0 GPA, joining Chilton’s “Franklin” newspaper, and sleeping with a married man, she does it all! Try putting yourself out there — UMass prides itself on having hundreds of clubs to join, and one of them is bound to interest you!

Clubs at UMass range from Mock Trial to more obscure options like the Lettuce Eating Club, and my personal favorite that is right up Rory’s alley, Her Campus!

Being Rory Gilmore is far from easy, but implementing slight changes into your daily life can make a world of differences for you physically, mentally, and academically. Wishing you the best in your “Rory Gilmore Era”!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Victoria Hoerauf

U Mass Amherst '26

Victoria is a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in Art Education and Psychology. She is an avid runner, artist, and reader who is always looking for new book recommendations!