Style > Beauty

Rhode to Discovery: Testing Whether My 4 New Skincare Additions Are Worth The Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“Drop It Like It’s Hot” seems to be the new anthem for celebrities considering the rate at which they seem to be launching skincare and makeup lines as seen in the past couple of years. While some brands have made their mark (Fenty Beauty, Rare Beauty, Haus Labs, and many more), newer brands like Rhode Skin by Hailey Bieber are still testing the waters. Celebrity skincare lines are only one aspect of viral skincare/beauty trends and considering I’ve been interested in widening the range of my skincare, I’m here to give you my honest opinion about whether some of my new skincare additions over the past few months are worth the hype or not.

Peptide Glazing Fluid by Rhode Skin

This peptide-rich gel serum is described to help assist on the journey to getting Bieber’s ‘glazed donut’ look, so I was more than excited to get my hands on it as soon as I was able to. I have been using it before my moisturizer for about three months now, and I can definitely say it’s extremely hydrating and rich without feeling tacky on the skin after application. The benefits of the serum felt a little more short-term for me though and the glow lasted about an hour before fully absorbing into the skin. A point to keep in mind is also that everyone has different skin types and my skin has always been more on the matte side, but this serum helps with makeup looking more glowy, and skin looking generally more hydrated and plump.

Peptide Lip Treatment by Rhode Skin

If you’re able to get your hands on this product, do not think twice. This lip treatment worked wonders for my winter-chapped lips and was able to nourish them and make them pillowy after just one night’s use. It also is a plus point that it substitutes as an amazing gloss on top of any type of lip product and keeps the lips hydrated all night. I was able to buy the unscented and watermelon slice flavors and they’re both delicious, but the (always sold out) salted caramel one is what I have my eyes on next.

Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence by Cosrx

This viral snail essence is meant to go on before serum and moisturizer application for a smooth base, hydrated skin, and over time, reduced facial marks. I’ve been using this essence for about a month now, and one of the most noticeable differences I’ve seen is tighter skin and reduced pores. It’s especially helpful during skincare before makeup application and is one of those skincare products with more long-term effects, so I hope to notice more significant changes in the near future, but I definitely think this product is worth the hype.

Lightning Wand by Hero Cosmetics

With the occasional hormonal acne popping up on my face these past few months, I’ve been on the lookout for a good, affordable product to help with the fading of acne scars. I came across this wand serum on a Target run and got the mini-version to test it out, and this is probably my favorite product recommendation in this article. It goes on as a roll-on serum and has made nearly overnight differences in my blemishes. Its mini size retails for $9.99, so it’s one of the more affordable products I’ve come across for the purpose and really does work with at least a once-a-day application process.

I will mention that I’m by no means a skincare expert, just a fellow skincare aficionado on the lookout for good new products that I’m more than happy to recommend. I think that every product on this list is worth the hype and none break the bank, so if you’re looking for a sign to test these out for yourself, here is yours!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Vaidehi Bhatia

U Mass Amherst '23

Vaidehi is a writer for the University of Massachusetts Amherst chapter. She is a graduate having majored in Informatics on the Data Science Track with a minor in Business. Enjoy the articles about fashion, beauty, relatable college experiences & wellbeing, and feel free to reach out on LinkedIn or Instagram!