Rare Beauty makeup products
Rare Beauty makeup products
Original photo by Elizabeth Tait
Style > Beauty

Reviewing All of the Rare Beauty Products I’ve Tried So Far

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When Rare Beauty, founded by Selena Gomez, launched back in 2020, it instantly became a fan favorite. I’m usually not a huge fan of celebrity brands, but when it took over my social media feeds and I saw everyone raving about the products, I had to try it out.

First off, the packaging on all of the products is gorgeous. They are all super sleek and have a distinguishable Rare Beauty look. Along with looking super pretty, the packaging is sustainable while the products are cruelty-free and vegan. A major part of the brand is its overall message — “makeup made to feel good in, without hiding what makes you unique.” Likewise, 1% of all sales go to the Rare Impact Fund, to help provide people with accessible mental health resources, especially mental health education. Carrying on with the brand’s inclusivity, they also have a diverse shade range for every person to find their perfect fit. With all this being said, let’s get into what I thought about the actual products…

Always An Optimist Illuminating Primer

Honestly, I’ve never been one to use primer, but I recently wanted to try one out. Of course, I went straight to Rare Beauty, and as the name says, this primer illuminates your face and gives such a natural glow. I wear this almost every day now, even when I don’t wear makeup — it’s just that good.

Liquid Touch Brightening Concealer

Concealers are always either a hit or miss for me, and this was definitely a hit. It’s super hydrating, which is always most important for me since I have very dry skin. I just apply a little bit under my eyes, on any blemishes I have on my face, and have great light to medium coverage.

Soft Pinch Liquid Blush

Hope

This is the first blush shade I got when I first tried this product. “Hope” is a mauve pink and adds a nice flush to your face when applied. As I’m sure you know if you’ve seen anything about this blush, a little goes a long way — make sure to only apply the smallest dot to your cheeks and you’ll be good to go.

Joy

Although I love the previous shade, I also recently purchased “Joy,” a peachy red that makes your cheeks look naturally flushed from the sun. This has been my go-to shade for the warmer weather. This product seamlessly blends into the skin and has become a staple in my makeup routine.

Warm Wishes Effortless Bronzer Stick

Lately, I’ve been really into liquid and cream makeup products, so I was super excited to try the new cream bronzer stick. I purchased the shade “Power Boost,” and although I loved the formula, I’m not too crazy about the shade. I have pale skin so I automatically reached for the lightest shade, but I found that if it’s blended too much, it can make your cheeks look orange. Once again though, the product blends super well and I definitely would be open to trying another shade.

Positive Light Liquid Luminizer

This is probably one of the most underrated Rare Beauty products. The liquid highlighter gives you the prettiest, most natural glow, and is super easy to apply and blend. You can also add this to the liquid blush to create an even glowier look. I use the shade “Mesmerize,” which is a light pink color that blends out to create an everyday radiant shine.

Perfect Strokes Universal Volumizing Mascara

I’ve seen this mascara all over social media and not one person I’ve seen use it has disliked it. The brush is my favorite type of mascara wand that I find helps make my eyelashes not get clumpy, and the actual product definitely adds a lot of volume, which reminds me a lot of my all-time favorite mascara. I really do love this mascara, but considering I already have a cheap favorite from the drugstore, I’m not sure I’ll repurchase this one.

Rare Beauty makeup swatches on arm
Original photo by Elizabeth Tait

As you can probably tell, Rare Beauty is now one of my go-to favorite brands. Between the meaning of the company and the amazing products, you just can’t go wrong. I hope you’ll give some of these products a try and see if you agree!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Elizabeth Tait

U Mass Amherst '24

Elizabeth is a senior editor and content writer at UMass Amherst, double majoring in psychology and sociology. In her free time, she loves reading, watching sunrises at the beach, making Spotify playlists, baking, and traveling.