Revamp Your Gym Wardrobe for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spring is in the air, which means that warm-weather workout gear has hit the shelves! With the gorgeous weather comes some great fits, creative tanks, bold stripes, and bright colors. This season’s styles are sure to turn heads as you jog through Amherst Center or hit the yoga mat at Campus Rec. Here are some spring picks from all of my favorite brands.

Your running crop: Nike. Nike. Nike. I love Nike. My favorite article purchased from Nike has to be my running crops. They fit perfectly — meaning that they don’t ride up, they don’t fall down, they actually stay in place. The colors on these crops are pretty boring, but sacrificing color for fit is definitely worth it in  this case! ($48)

Zumba/Running Skort: Yes, I said skort. Who says you can’t get all dolled-up to work out? Dressing like you’re ready to hit the fitness runway will make you feel better about yourself, pushing you to work a little harder. This skort from Lululemon is fantastic. I purchased one for Zumba a few months back, and it was so cute and comfortable that I have worn it on jogs, and even to yoga. The skort fits perfectly around the hips and the shorts underneath have a sticky, elastic hem to keep them in place while you’re shaking your romp. ($58)

Creative Tanks: The new trend in the fitness world as of late, has been creative tanks with fancy cut-outs and detailed straps. Old Navy has a few different styles for a reasonable price. Remember that when buying shirts that are designed to be aesthetically pleasing, they are not necessarily designed to be supportive. Tops like these are better for low impact activities like yoga, walking, or pilates. (on sale now, $15) 

Bright colors: Vibrant shades and blinding neons are in! Victoria’s Secret tanks, or on the more affordable side Champion tanks from Target, are brightly colored and perfect for any type of workout. Don’t be afraid to stand out at the gym or while jogging the sidewalk — let your confidence shine as bright as your apparel.(VS = 2/$45 or Champion = 1/$16)

Cool Spandex: Spandex shorts are perfect for lifting and other strength training workouts. They are also essential for pairing with those revealing shorts, you know, the ones that flash your undies while you’re doing crunches. Under Armour has some great picks this season. Buy them online or head down to Dick’s Sporting Goods at the Hampshire Mall to try some on for size. ($30)

Trendy Stripes: Forever 21 has some great, inexpensive activewear, including a long-line of sports bras. Okay ladies, while some of these sports bras don’t have a lot of support, they are perfect for pairing with those tanks with built-in support. Stripes are in, so stock up! ($8-$13)