This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

After four years at UMass Amherst, it’s time for me to graduate. I can definitely say I’ve enjoyed my experience at UMass, even through a pandemic, and I’ve learned so much, not just academically. From not knowing what I wanted to do with my future to making plans to attend grad school, I’ve gone through experiences that have changed me for the better. 

I accomplished a lot of things while in college, like joining a sorority, getting into grad school, working at a homeless shelter, playing on a UMass sports team, being in a long-distance relationship, and making lifelong friends. 

I remember my freshman year I didn’t even know if I liked UMass and now I wouldn’t want to have gone anywhere else. There was even a time when I wanted to transfer, but I’m so glad I didn’t. College takes a while to get used to, and before you know it, it’s time to leave.

When I think of my time in college, there’s the part of walking through campus, grabbing coffee with friends, sitting in big lecture halls, and living in a dorm. Then there’s another part of it where I’m quarantined inside, joining class online from my bed, and not being on campus for a year and a half. I feel like my generation is now going through a period of grief where we have to process the fact that we lost a year and a half of our college experience, something no other generation has experienced. Before going into college, I’d hear from people that these would be “the best four years of your life.” My perspective on college has definitely been altered by the pandemic; I appreciate the time I have had on campus and getting to attend college. I loved my time at UMass, and I wish I got more of it because I truly made the best friends in college. To those who are still in college or going to college, enjoy it while it lasts. Try to embrace the stressful, sad, and even bad parts of it as well because one day it will end.

I gained so much in these four years and I have a lot of people to thank for that, especially my parents who gave me the opportunity to go to college. I am also so glad I joined Her Campus as a way to get my voice out online and share my experiences over the past three years.

I remember the car ride to Amherst with my parents and how scared I was. I honestly didn’t even want to go because I hated the huge change. Now, it’s time for me to drive back home alone with everything I’ve learned along the way. Leaving college can be scary because of the unknown, but it is also exciting.

Although I’m going to miss the place that’s been my home for the past four years, it’s time for this chapter to end and a new one to start. As a writer at Her Campus for the past three years, it’s officially time for me to sign off.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Elizabeth Mooney

U Mass Amherst '22

As a senior at UMass Amherst, Elizabeth Mooney is studying Community Education and Social Change and is so excited to be writing for HerCampus for her third year! She writes articles on lifestyle, relationships, and college life so check them out! Feel free to follow her Instagram: @lizmooney02