My Thoughts on it Being a “Normal Semester”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When it came time to pack for this semester and leave home, as much as I was excited to get back to normal life at UMass, there was also a sense of fear because school had not been the same since March 2020. Even though I was on campus in the spring, it felt pretty desolate since there were not many students here. Everyone was confined to their rooms and there were so many restrictions with social activities. Even though I was on campus and back with some friends, the spring semester still felt odd. 

So far, I have been on campus for four weeks and things just feel so different. I do not remember what it was like to wait in such long lines for food in the dining hall. Meals in the spring were solely grab-and-go style, so I got used to the idea of just bringing a bunch of food back to my dorm. Now, eating has become such a social thing. It takes forever to find a table in any of the dining halls, food runs out quickly, and there is even a running joke that there are not enough utensils. I can confirm this is true as I had to eat cereal with a fork the other day. Not fun.

Walking to classes and sitting in lectures has felt so refreshing, but I forgot what it was like to be around 400 other students, people constantly stepping over you to get a seat, the professor having to shout so the back of the room can hear, and feeling stuffy in a hot room with my mask on. I took online classes for granted, and have to admit that a lot of the time, I was split screening on my laptop while I was supposed to be paying attention.

I am very nervous to take in-person exams. There is so much academic stress as a college student, especially in classes where 80% of the final grade is based on three tests throughout the semester. I guess I am going to have to prepare to spend long hours in the library, but that’s only if it is not completely packed.

Being around so many students every single day is something that I haven’t experienced in over a year and a half. The amount of people I see while walking to my classes or in the dining halls makes me realize how large UMass is.

During the previous year, UMass felt minuscule. Now, everyone is embracing socialization and aching to constantly be busy. As a junior, living in the dorms is tough because although the majority of people in my building are sophomores, they are all technically freshmen. This semester is their first time to experience tailgates, college parties, and meeting new people.

Things are crazy around here, and it’s honestly never quiet. I understand that everyone (including me) is excited to be back, but I am very curious to see how the rest of the semester will play out now that things are “normal” again. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Avani Dang

U Mass Amherst '23

Avani is a senior at the University of Massachusetts studying Business. Her hobbies include working out, art, and traveling. You can find Avani writing about life as a college student, news in the media, and more!