body images 2018 08 10 underbed see thru organizer ojpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2018 08 10 underbed see thru organizer ojpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Reflecting on My First Month of Dorm Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As I begin to write this article, it’s February 25, which marks one month since I’ve moved into college and begun a new phase of life. The past 30 or so days have felt like a lifetime (in the best way) because I’m starting to recognize the personal growth that comes with being sent into some form of adulthood for the first time. 

It’s so special to be around a bunch of people your age that are all collectively in the same boat as you, both socially and emotionally, while navigating a new environment. We all don’t know what we’re doing, and there is so much beauty in that. I’ve also been so grateful that my floor has an amazing array of people because you start to become a community with the people you live with. Who you live near will be the people you see constantly, like it or not. 

On the topic of living with others, communal bathrooms have not been as horrifying as I anticipated. They’re generally pretty clean, and the water pressure isn’t horrible, so I really can’t complain. There have been times that are trying, like when I’ve forgotten a face cloth and have to trek back to my room to go get one. It has also been a weird feeling to throw on a mask when you’re fresh out of the shower. It really isn’t that bad, though, which was a pleasant surprise. The communal kitchens are a different monster. I never thought I would miss the convenience of toasting a bagel at home, but here we are. The kitchen in my residence hall is on the second floor, and I live on the fourth. By the time I’ve walked back to my room, the bagel has usually cooled all the way down, which is a vibe-killer. It’s also awkward to be walking around a building with a bagel on a paper plate while opening doors and walking upstairs. I continue to do it though, because who can live without bagels?

Ryan Norville

Doing my own laundry has been another glimpse into adulthood. Laundry isn’t hard, but it’s easy to miss the laundry fairy that used to magically empty my hamper. (Thank you, Mom). Suddenly, I’ve recognized the value in rewearing things more than once instead of throwing them into the dirty clothes bin. The laundry room is in the basement, so I’ve been getting an arm workout by carrying my clothes bag around. 

My dorm room
Original photo by Hannah Stapleton
Living away from home has opened my eyes to the choices I have to make every day. You have to be self-motivated to be successful while living away from home. If I didn’t want to do any work, I could easily sit back and not do it. Dorm life has made me realize that you have to dedicate time to schoolwork in order to get things done. The first few weeks of college feel like a social whirlwind, and it is easy to lose focus on the grind. I’ve been doing my best to balance school and social life. 

I’m only one month in, but my roommate and I have tried really hard to make our space feel like home. Adjusting to living away from home was hard at first, but we have made a space that feels comfortable and personalized. We went all out on the decor and have established a warm and glowy homebase. Our led lights, salt lamp, and posters have really spiced up the room. I’m slowly getting more comfortable in my space, and I’m excited to see what the next months bring. 

Hannah Stapleton

U Mass Amherst '24

Hannah Stapleton is a freshman hospitality & tourism major at UMass Amherst. When she's not living in Amherst you'll find her adventuring around Cape Cod, which is where she grew up. Hannah is a passionate music lover and very appreciative of the people who are vocal about their current favorite songs.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst