Re-Do Your Dorm: How To Make Your Room Cozier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

During my past 3 years here at UMass Amherst, I’ve gotten good at a lot of things. Planning my meals so when I use a YCMP swipe it’s exactly $9.50, leaving my room at just the right time to make the bus, and making my dorm my own. Moving in as a freshman, my dad compared the dorms to a prison block. Obviously dorms aren’t jail cells, but this scared me. How will I ever feel comfortable in my room? The answer is much simpler than you think!

1. Twinkle Lights

The only thing I hate more than harsh overhead lighting is the wind tunnel by DuBois library on a rainy day. While this isn’t a problem in some dorms on campus, this is one in mine. My solution is by bringing in more lighting! I brought in a lamp for my desk and a few strings of white lights to hang on the wall—that’s where the DIY comes in. You can hang these lights wherever you want in your room with some Scotch mounting tape. I have a long strand outlining the top of one wall and going over my desk, and a shorter one outlining a tapestry over my bed.

2. Personal Photos

What better way to feel closer to your loved ones than by hanging up a few photos around your room? You can take a bus to CVS or over to Walmart and get photos printed out straight from your phone! I picked up a couple frames from the dollar store to put on my desk. Can’t find one in a color you like? No problem, pick up a paint sample or use nail polish to personalize it.

3. Wall Quotes

Wouldn’t it be awesome if your room looked like all of the quote posts on your Instagram? Along with my personal photos, I like keeping motivational quotes on my wall (especially ones by the queen, Beyoncé). After I scroll through my Insta feed and find a quote I like, I’ll go through a book of blank scrap book pages for an awesome background!

4. Leave your clothes out

You heard that right, and no, it’s not just another way I get out of folding some laundry. I like leaving a couple of my favorite sweaters hanging up (usually on the coat racks right by my door, but you can put commands hooks up) to leave my room a little cozier. No sweaters? Leaving blankets over your bed or on your desk chair will make your room feel just as comfy.

How will you DIY your dorm, Collegiettes?

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Brittany O'Neil

U Mass Amherst

Brittany is a junior at UMass Amherst with a double major in Early Childhood Education and Psychology. In addition to being a content editor for the best Her Campus chapter, she also works for the STEM Ambassadors Program, and is a Peer Mentor. She's obsessed with Netflix, sarcasm, and gifs. Lots and lots of gifs.
Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.