Rating UMass Dining Halls as Major U.S. Cities

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Being a UMass student comes with the privilege of having really great-tasting dining hall food, yet each dining hall itself has a different ambiance. I think each dining hall/retail dining location can be thought of as different U.S. cities!

Worcester: manhattan, ny

Worcester, or commonly known to UMass students as “Woo”, has a very energetic and crowded atmosphere. The lines to get into the dining hall are insanely long, and finding a booth, let alone a table is a rare gem. The hustle and bustle of this location reminds me of Times Square in Manhattan because this dining hall is the place that never sleeps (especially with late night too).

Hampshire: Boston, MA

Hamp gives off city vibes and is known to be one of the healthier dining halls on campus. The modern dining hall is also busy like Worcester, but I can picture Hamp being in a city location for its gravitating dishes that everyone wants to go to! The downstairs lobby also features a Starbucks Cafe, making it perfect for city-goers.

Esselon cafe breakfast
Greer Long
Franklin: Chicago, IL

Frank is considered an oldie, but a goodie. While this dining hall may lack ambiance, it will never leave you walking out hungry. Known for its deli and grilled cheese, I can picture Frank as a local family-owned restaurant in Chicago, Illinois. Another busy city that people would stop into for that home-cooked, comfort food type meal that will hit just right.

Berkshire: Philadelphia, PA

I consider Berk to be another dining hall that is modern and is usually busy. Berk is notorious for its deli and brick-oven pizza, making it feel like a modern eatery in the heart of Philly. My sister went to school in Philly so I get the vibes that Berk could be a cool pizza place in this major city.

Roots Cafe: Los Angeles, CA

While Roots Cafe is not considered a “dining hall”, it is one of UMass’s popular retail dining spots to visit. Roots is known for its quesadillas, chicken sandwiches, and flatbread pizzas that will leave you walking out super full! I envision Roots as a modern cafe located in LA because of its range of food options that a traditional dining hall won’t offer. I get a certain modern energy from this place that I would picture being located on Melrose Avenue, a popular street in LA known for its dining and retail stores!

I am interested to know if other UMass students can relate to this! I love implementing a fun twist to my articles, so feel free to express your thoughts! Stay tuned for more fun articles to read!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Heather Sarney

U Mass Amherst '25

I am a Junior Communication and Journalism double major on the public relations track here at UMass Amherst. I love to play tennis, watch shows and movies, and journal too!