taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
taylor swift\'s 1989 (taylors version)
Taylor Swift / Republic
Culture > Digital

Ranking My Top 10 “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” Lyrics on Their Relatability as a UMass Amherst Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The Swiftie population at UMass Amherst is thriving. Every time a new album comes out, I can always expect to have a listening party with my friends. From hearing her songs at every party, to sitting around waiting in the queue to buy tickets with my friends, Taylor Swift has pretty much taken over my friend group. So, I decided to deep dive into 1989 (Taylor’s Version) and rate just how much I can relate to them as a UMass student.

“The More I Gave, you’d want me less” – “now that we don’t talk”

(10/10) Starting off strong, we’ve all had that one “situationship” from freshman year that we put our all into and getting nothing back in return. Now, I see them in class or at the dining hall and they’re just a funny memory to laugh about. But … we all remember those tough first-year lessons.

“When we first dropped our bags on apartment floors” – “Welcome to New York”

(8/10). This brings me back to my first day moving into my apartment off-campus. I immediately dropped my bags as I walked in amazed by my own, new apartment and the rush of excitement at the beginning of the year, and seeing all my friends I missed over the summer. My only complaint is that they don’t provide minute movers off-campus, as I worked up a sweat carrying my bags of clothes up the stairs.

“It’s a new soundtrack, i could dance to this beat, beat forevermore / The lights are so bright, but they never blind me” – “Welcome to New York”

(7/10) I relate to this lyric on a deeply personal level. I LOVE dancing at the frats, but sometimes the party light absolutely destroys my vision. Nevertheless, I always go back.

“When we decided, we decided / To move the furniture so we could dance” – “Out of the woods”

(6/10) This one might be too niche, but my roommates and I are always moving our furniture out of the living room so we can dance around at our pregames before we go out, and I highly recommend it. Having more room to dance is ALWAYS better.

“Baby, I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake /
I shake it off, I shake it off” – “Shake it off”

(1000/10) I just have to listen to this song anytime I do badly on an exam as a pick-me-up. It’s my motto. It’s what I tell myself to be delusional, even though I know next time I need to do way better.

“rain came pourin’ down / When I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe”- “Clean”

(9/10) We’ve all been there. It starts pouring and you leave your umbrella at home. I’ve never felt more like I was drowning than passing the library on a cold, windy day when it’s raining. That wind tunnel doesn’t come to play, and I am never prepared for it.

“We’re all bored / we’re all so tired of everything /
We wait for trains that just aren’t coming” – “New Romantics”

(8/10) It’s heading towards the end of the semester and I am getting so burnt out. I am absolutely so tired of everything. I am also tired of waiting for the PVTA that never comes. I swear that Transit app lies.

I feel like Taylor wrote some of these lyrics specifically for UMass students, and I feel them on a personal level. She just gets it and I know her songs will continue to take me through all of my greatest college memories.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Angie Oliynyk

U Mass Amherst '25

Angie is currently a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. There, she studies management and is inspired by all things fashion and beauty! She enjoys listening to music, walking her dogs, and spending too much money thrifting.