titanic im flying scene
titanic im flying scene
Paramount Pictures

Ranking My Favorite Leonardo DiCaprio Movies From Least Favorite To Most Favorite

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the greatest actors of all time, at least in my opinion! He is so talented and has starred in so many different types of films. A diverse actor is one of the best types of actors. DiCaprio has a variety of great films, and although my opinions may differ from others, I am going to fill you guys in on my favorite Leonardo DiCaprio movies.

Starting from my least favorite and progressing to my most favorite, here are seven great movies of his (but trust me, there are SO many more out there) that you all definitely need to watch!

Movie theater seat
Photo by Kilyan Sockalingum from Unsplash

7. The Wolf Of Wall Street (2013)

This movie, as you probably already know, is based on a real-life person and his crazy life on Wall Street. His name is Jordan Belfort, and Leonardo DiCaprio plays a very well done representation of him. Actually, I once heard the real Jordan Belfort say that the story of his life is actually much crazier than what was showed in the film, which honestly is really hard to believe if you have ever seen it. Although I do think the film is very well-done (considering it is a true story), it is a serious representation of toxic masculinity in the workforce, especially when men begin to abuse their position of power. I would totally give this film a watch though.

6. The Revenant (2015)

This movie is the only one Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar for. If you know DiCaprio well (like myself, as I am a huge fan), he is a huge advocate for climate change and the environmental issues in the world. This movie is a very well-done representation of man versus wild and survival of the fittest when stuck in a climate one is not typically used to living in. He won the Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, and boy did he deserve it.

5. Inception (2010)

Ugh. I absolutely love Inception! This movie requires a lot of focus and attention to detail, so you really have to be willing to keep an open mind throughout the entire film. Basically, Leonardo DiCaprio plays a man who quite literally enters people’s dreams in order to steal memories and thoughts from them to use for his advantage. It’s pretty hard to differentiate between reality and the dream world in the film, and director Christopher Nolan does a fantastic job of portraying just how strong our dreams can be, and how real they can seem.

4. The Departed (2006)

This is a great filmed directed by Martin Scorcese. Basically, Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon are the two lead roles in the film. DiCaprio plays a Boston police officer who goes undercover to infiltrate a gang, and Damon plays a gang member who goes undercover as a police officer to report their activities to his gang. The film is so well-done with so many twists and turns. If you’re a fan of Boston, movies with extremely talented casts, and action films, then this is for you!

3. Titanic (1997)

Obviously this one had to be in here. This film is considered to be one of the greatest films of all time, and one of DiCaprio’s best films too. He was just so young, and I do believe his acting has gotten a lot stronger since this role. This was an amazing breakout role for him, though. A long movie, but worth the watch!

2. The Great Gatsby (2013)

I am a huge reader and The Great Gatsby is an absolutely marvelous novel, so making a film to honor it is a difficult task to take on. It did not recieve amazing reviews, but it also did not receive horrible ones either. I think the film in total did a pretty good job at representing the novel, but I mostly thought that Leo played an incredible role as Jay Gatsby. The acting and the music and the beautiful cinematography: I could watch this film forever and never ever get bored of it.

1. Shutter Island (2010)

Okay, if you have not seen this movie, you need to see it. Right. Now. If you are a fan of mystery and suspense like me, then this is calling your name. The plot twists in this movie are so so so unpredictable, and Leo plays a seriously intense character that you will have a difficult time trusting. I don’t want to give too much away, so watch it ASAP!

assorted movies on bookshelf
Photo by Lucas Pezeta from Pexels
I hope you learned some more about these movies and get to watching. They really are amazing films, and I believe Leonardo DiCaprio deserves much more than the one Oscar he won for The Revanant. Give them all a watch, you won’t regret it :)

Victoria Tustin

U Mass Amherst '22

Tory is a senior here at UMass Amherst. She is currently a Journalism major with a Spanish minor, and has a passion for writing just about anything!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst