Ranking Euphoria Characters from Most to Least Likable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As we have seen throughout the first and second seasons, Euphoria does an amazing job developing characters. While watching the second season, I often find myself ranking the characters in my head — kind of like a Dance Moms pyramid. I am writing this in the middle of season two, right after episode five. My opinions and feelings about the characters have been constantly changing throughout this season, and this would be a completely different list if I had done it earlier or later in the season. I also want to note the complexity of these characters- it’s hard to truly rank them as they are all dealing with different issues and all lead very different lives. However, if I had to rank them right now, this would be my list. Enjoy!

fezco/ ashtray

I have always been a big fan of this pair, but the first episode of season two really solidified my love for them. They are both extremely protective of each other and the people in their lives. Fez truly cares about Rue and wants to help her in any way he can. I am also obsessed with how he interacts with Lexi, and I’m excited to see how that relationship unfolds. 

Lexi

This ranking may be a little biased, as Lexi is my favorite character. I feel like she is very relatable and is a character who has good intentions, but is often overlooked by others. As I said earlier, I love the interactions we have seen so far between Lexi and Fez. I am also really excited to see her play!

rue

As of right now, Rue is at total rock bottom. But it is hard to not love her. Addiction is an extremely hard situation to deal with and has negative impacts not only on your relationship with yourself but on your relationships with others. As her dad stated in episode four of season two; Rue is a good person. I really hope we see some kind of breakthrough for her soon.

maddy

It is clear that Maddy cares very deeply for the people in her life. She gives good advice, as we see when Kat confides in her with her relationship issues. However, she is still giving Nate her time and energy which he does not deserve. This is causing a lot of trauma and anger within her, and we see she has been very aggressive and confrontational recently.

cal

There is no excuse for messing up his entire family in the way that Cal did by living a double life. He has done a lot to hurt his family and Jules, and has threatened and blackmailed others multiple times. But, in episode four, we see him being honest (although drunk) and coming clean about his sexuality.

cassie

Cassie has not been on my good side lately. After hooking up with her best friend’s abuser and ex (or maybe not ex) boyfriend, she continued to have a secret relationship with him. She only regrets it when he treats her badly as well and, of course, when Maddy finds out.

Jules

I have seen a lot of double standards from Jules this season. Her relationship with Elliot is completely unfair to Rue. It’s hard to like Jules when she continues to have a relationship with Elliot knowing that he has been encouraging Rue to use drugs.

Elliot

I knew he was bad news from the first scene. He completely manipulated Rue and Jules which has led to their ultimate separation while withholding the fact that Rue was not sober in the way Jules thought she was. The worst moment for me was in episode five when he claims; “I liked Rue the way she was,” after she is confronted for using drugs again. 

Nate

The bane of my existence. Yes, his problems stem from family issues, but he has no excuse for treating women the way that he does. He has seriously traumatized Jules, Cassie, and Maddy with his actions. Although relationships are a two-way street, it is obvious that Nate’s treatment is what leads to the demise of these other characters. You never know what will happen, but I doubt I will ever be able to see Nate as a likable character.

As I said earlier, my thoughts and opinions are constantly changing about these characters. I am excited to see how all of the conflicts unfold as we reach the end of season 2!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Brynn Geary

U Mass Amherst '24

Brynn is a senior and a communication and sociology major at UMass Amherst. Aside from writing, Brynn spends most of her time dancing, going to concerts and searching for the perfect iced oat milk latte.