The Queen's Gambit series poster
The Queen's Gambit series poster
Netflix
Style

“The Queens Gambit” Fashion: Where to Buy Beth Harmon’s Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you haven’t already watched the Netflix limited series The Queens Gambit, I recommend you drop everything and turn it on right now. If my advice isn’t cutting it for you, I should add the fact that it has won two Golden Globes. One for Best Miniseries or Television Film, and another for having the Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film. The story follows a young female chess prodigy and is set throughout the 1950s-1960s. The show itself has many layers, but one thing that has caught the eye of many viewers is the fashion displayed in each episode, more specifically the style of the lead character, Beth Harmon. The costume design was thought out to a tee given the era it takes place in and the settings Harmon (played by Anya Taylor-Joy) finds herself in. Now, audiences are scrambling to find clothes that will match the show’s style aesthetic. Here are five of my favorite staples in Harmon’s closet, and where you can find them. 

Man Holding Chess Piece
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Beth goes-to-college look

Being that I’m a college student, I found Harmon’s time in college to be one of the more iconic things we’ve seen her do. Not to mention, this is when she meets co-prodigy Benny Watts *swoon.* This being said, the outfits that Harmon wore during this journey of her life resonated with my sense of style the most. One of the pieces that she flaunted was a head-scarf, of which I have many. Linked here you will find a chic Anthropologie apparel dupe that will add a little flair to your hair!

Beth’s emo look

There was a lot of character development in this part of Harmon’s life. She basically had a mental breakdown and went off the walls, but she came back stronger than ever in the end. That being said there are a few more essential accessories that made her emo look for me. Starting off we had a grunge beanie moment. Uniqlo sells a similar sage green knit beanie here. You can find an almost identical version on SHEIN for much less, but as a Jewish woman who watched their recent scandal go down, I refuse to buy from them. Anyone who has seen the series also knows that during this time Harmon took her eye makeup very seriously. She did a bunch of chunky eyeliner looks, and honestly, I was here for it. I’m going to let you guys in on a huge life hack here. I have no idea how to do winged eyeliner, or any eyeliner look for that matter. Recently, however, I invested in the Kaja Beauty Wink Stamp Wing Eyeliner Stamp & Pen and it does all the work for me. The stamp lets you negate the hassle of getting that perfect wing, and all you have to do from there is draw on the line design you’re looking to do. You can purchase this miracle product from Sephora here. 

woman holding black framed mirror
Photo by Kelly Sikkema from Unsplash

Dancing Beth

One of my favorite scenes in the series is when she starts dancing to Fever after practicing all day with her companion Harry Beltik. Her outfit during this scene is very preppy casual. She pairs some cuffed skinny jeans with a cute blue-collared sweatshirt. She proceeds to remove the sweatshirt when she starts to dance, revealing a cute white collared short sleeve. Immediately my mind went to Brandy Melville. Their whole one-size-only thing is a bunch of bull, but rest assured, as a chubbier girl I do own these two tops and rock them both. You can find the collared blue sweatshirt here. I couldn’t find the white collared short sleeve I have on their website, but I did manage to find this tank top version.

Professional Beth

If there’s anything Harmon must have in her closet, it’s a nice coat. Spotted in both her college days and the days leading up to her final match, we see her in a black peacoat. Lord knows why I recently invested in a peacoat for myself. I got it for way cheap at Old Navy, it was $40 but they are always running sales. Mine is black and screams boss babe. Listed here is the one-stop shop to becoming the businesswoman of your dreams. 

woman in blazer standing in front of bridge over river
Photo by Yunming Wang from Unsplash

End Game Beth

As the series comes to a close we watch as Harmon takes over the world after becoming the chess world champion like a bad biddie. In one of the cuter scenes, we see she goes to play chess with some elderly people after her big win. During this, she looked like royalty (the royal family is NOT IT right now, but you get the idea). Harmon sported a long white sherpa coat and the cutest little white pom pom cap. Look no further than GAP and DSW for these steals. For the elegant jacket click here, and for the perfect winter hat, click here

Now you can rest assured you always look like your most chess chic self!

Kate Katz

U Mass Amherst '24

Kate is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and a New Yorker at heart. She is a double major in Journalism and Communication and hopes to work in the broadcast field. Kate also writes for several other UMass publications. She is so grateful to be able to share her work with such a wide audience of readers.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst