Culture > News

Putting Your Two Cents to Work: How to Support Local Businesses Amidst a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, social distancing is the fastest way to reduce the spread of the disease, as recommended by public officials, scientists and medical professionals. However, a large concern that arises as more and more people are required to stay home, is the effect the worldwide shutdown will have on local businesses and if they will be able to survive. Many small businesses have lost a substantial amount of revenue as people are self-quarantining and state government mandates are enforcing more store closures. With this amount of income lost, a large and substantial concern held by many is if local businesses will be able to survive the consequences this pandemic has already brought and will continue to bring.

Taking all of this into account, there are many ways we are able to support small businesses while social distancing and staying healthy! Big or small, every contribution counts and helps a business you appreciate.

Buy a gift card

Gift cards are an easy way to help support small businesses, and helps them with cash flow they may be missing out on during this time. Though many events are being cancelled, holidays and birthdays are still occuring so stocking up on gift cards can help support the businesses you love and make great presents for friends and family (or even for yourself! Get that coffee or other treat post-quarantine). Getting gift shopping done is a great way to cross it off your to-do lists and help support these companies.

Order Takeout/Delivery

While going out to eat at your favorite restaurant isn’t a viable option, many restaurants are still offering takeout and delivery services that remain in code with social distancing guidelines. Depending on the restaurant, they may be offering delivery or curbside pickup – with many accepting payments over the phone to keep transactions as contact-less as possible. If you can afford it, consider eating out and supporting your favorite restaurants! (Side note – it’s best to order takeout directly from the restaurant, instead of take-out apps such as DoorDash, because they can charge these businesses extra fees that may be exerting extra financial pressure on them during this time.)

Gratuity Tip

All of the workers that are being deemed essential and needing to work during this unprecedented time are not only working minimal hours (some workers being paid low wages on top of this) and receiving less business than usual, but are also putting themselves at risk of contracting COVID-19 by continuing to provide their services to the public. If you can afford it, consider tipping an extra 20-30% to help support these workers.

Shop locally as much as possible!

While many people are panic buying items from large chain grocery stores, stock up on essential household items from local retailers before scrounging the shelves at your local Market Basket.

Continue to pay the people who work for you

People who are taking social distancing seriously have most likely cancelled their house cleaning services, hair appointments, tutors and other services they usually pay for. However, if financially viable, continue to pay and support them – whether for the services they were going to provide in the coming weeks, or for a future service paid ahead of time.

Support local studios online

A plethora of local fitness studios are providing on demand workouts online, or streaming them live on social media daily – accomodating the work from home lifestyle, so almost all workouts can be done with household items! Though some require a small fee to use, some are being provided free of charge, and the simple social media boost can help tremendously in the long run for these studios.

Leave a Review

If you’re financially unable to keep paying for services as usual, a simple way to support business owners is just by reaching out. Leaving a good review, thanking them for all they’re doing, referring them to other people – every little bit counts as we navigate this uncharted territory. While many of us are anxious and stressed out, some compassion and reassurance can go a long way.

Sources: 1

*All photos courtesy of the Her Campus photo database*

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst