Protect Our Breasts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

PROTECT OUR BREASTS INTERVIEW WITH KRISTIN PETERS

1. Tell me about the organization Protect Our Breasts

Protect Our Breasts was started by Isenberg marketing professor, Cynthia Barstow, and is managed by an executive board of interdisciplinary UMass undergrads with help from several industry and science advisors. Protect Our Breasts focuses on breast cancer prevention rather than finding a cure. In May 2010, the President’s Cancer Panel report stated the role of environmental toxins have been “grossly underestimated.” We know that 5-10% of breast cancers are associated with genetics and 15-20% linked to lifestyle factors, leaving 70% of breast cancers unexplained. We also know from the Institute of Medicine report that came out in December (2011), women are most susceptible to carcinogens up through their first pregnancy. Our goal is to share the conversation about the chemicals found in everyday products that contribute to breast cancer, and empower women, at their most vulnerable age, to make safer choices. We do this through our online community on our blog, Twitter, and Facebook page, and offline at our on-campus events.

1.  How did you get involved?

Last year, Protect Our Breasts was planning their launch at an UMass hockey game, and asked the Isenberg Women in Business Club for volunteers. I ended up getting really involved with this event and joined the executive board in the process! Once I learned about their mission and started talking to Cynthia and the other team members I felt strongly that this was something I had to be involved with. As a finance major, the role of endocrine disruptors and mammary gland carcinogens was out of my awareness. Now that I know how dangerous they can be, and I want to share with my friends and family!

1. How does Protect Our Breasts make a difference in the community?

Protect Our Breasts addresses an incredible issue that women our age do not know about. Women like to talk, and our organization is revolved around “sharing the conversation” and keeping up with peer-to-peer communication. We are a unique because our focus revolves around breast cancer prevention, and we spend a tremendous amount of time researching harmful chemicals, communicating with professionals, and learning about safer products. Protect Our Breasts gives the community an opportunity to teach one another and help each other make safer  product choices. Protect Our Breasts’ ultimate goal is to establish chapters across the country at different colleges and universities so that we can continue to share the conversation and spread the knowledge. We will be launching our first off-campus chapter at Trinity College this spring.

1. What volunteer opportunities are available?

There are so many volunteer opportunities available! Although, the Protect Our Breasts  executive board launched last fall, we did not start our UMass chapter until this fall. The UMass chapter is an opportunity for women to get involved on campus and volunteer with events. Interested volunteers can message us on our Facebook page for information about our next chapter meeting! We have several events coming up in the next couple of weeks for Breast Cancer Month, and will continue to be busy throughout the year!

1. How can students get involved?

Students can get involved in several different ways. We encourage everyone to like us on Facebook, check out our blog, share it with friends, email or message us with questions/suggestions, and even join our chapter to volunteer for events! Protect Our Breasts is an interdisciplinary group and we encourage women from all majors! Getting involved with the UMass chapter is a great stepping stone to making a bigger commitment and joining the board!

Emily Randall

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior at UMass Amherst with a major in Marketing and minor in Art History. I hope to move to Rome after graduation to live the dream of drinking wine, eating carbs, and shopping for Italian fine leather.