This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

My intention is to amplify the voices of Native Americans and dismantle the popularized idea that Thanksgiving was and is a happy time for everyone. The whitewashed history lesson we received on the topic was just that: whitewashed. In doing that the history became just incorrect entirely. 

So everyone knows the classic story of the first Thanksgiving – the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag tribe got together and feasted to celebrate the harvest and the success of their settlement in Plymouth in 1621. This story is taught to children across the country and it creates a beautiful idea that two groups of people from different cultures can come together and become friends. The common rhetoric surrounding white settlers’ relationship with the Natives is that they got along great, and this is perpetuated through the teaching of this story. However, this is not the case. Have you ever wondered what the Indigenous people of North America thought about Thanksgiving? After all, they are half of the story? Many Native Americans actually don’t celebrate Thanksgiving because it is a reminder of the genocide of their people, the theft of their land, and the relentless deculturization that they have faced year after year ever since the settlers stepped foot on the continent. 

two native americans playing woodwind instruments in traditional clothing
Gabriela Custódio da Silva
The Pequot Massacre of 1637 is one example of white settlers eradicating almost an entire village. In Connecticut, English Captain John Mason led attacks on the Pequot Village, burning and murdering around 500 inhabitants including women and children because of increasing conflicts. There are countless times in which the white settlers harmed, enslaved, disrespected, or killed the Natives. There is nothing happy to be celebrating on Thanksgiving. These types of events are often left off of history classes or glossed over as an event of less importance, but a history not taught is a history soon to be forgotten, and that is one of the greatest injustices.

As a white person, and as for many white people, this is not something that is considered when we are celebrating Thanksgiving. It’s all about the great food, seeing all your extended family, and being thankful. This is a privilege, and not everyone has it. Thanksgiving Day is a National Day of Mourning that is commemorated by The United American Indians of New England in Plymouth, MA. They mourn the loss of their ancestors but also find empowerment and strength to fight for the justice they deserve. I think this perspective is one that is often overlooked and purposely ignored because it is a sad history, but it matters and it needs to be taught correctly. Even in 2020, Native Americans in this country are still struggling to be represented and respected. 

I am not telling anybody to stop celebrating Thanksgiving. It has become a tradition for many families of all ethnic backgrounds across the country. However, I do ask that you acknowledge and learn more about the true history of Native Americans and think about your privilege on this day. November is Native American Heritage Month, and their voices should be heard.

roasted chicken on a wooden table with sides and place settings
Gabriel Garcia Marengo/Unsplash

Becca Nash

U Mass Amherst '23

Becca is a content contributor for the University of Massachusetts - Amherst chapter. She is a sophomore double majoring in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies, and Communications and is minoring in Education. She will definitely be sharing her knowledge and passion for Women and gender issues in her articles!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst