girl sunglasses jumping backback converse happy
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I find comfort in art. Music makes my soul smile and all I want to do is dance. During quarantine, I have been reminded of how much I need dance as an outlet. Thankfully there have been ways for me to continue dancing at home, even though it’s not the same as being with my girls on the UMass Dance Club. I miss the adrenaline and the energy in a late night rehearsal. I miss dress rehearsals and bonding nights, and all the laughter that comes with it. Nothing else engages me physically and mentally the way dance does. 

Reminiscing about dance reminds me of all the things it’s taught me and brought into my life.  It has been something that has brought me peace and happiness since the young age of three. It has taught me the importance of commitment. It has shown me how to believe in myself and hold myself with confidence. It has allowed me to recognize the importance of human connection and vulnerability. It has shown me what it looks like to have a team that builds you up and brings out the best in you. Not only do I share the stage with my beautiful teammates, I also share my passion

We dance to express

Dance has always been my passion and something that I want to continue with after college. I love the excitement of being backstage about to perform and all of the hard work that we put into every rehearsal. Dance allows me to be in the moment and express my emotions; something that has helped me grow throughout my life.” – Rebecca Wilson 

No matter how much I have on my plate, when I step into the studio everything else fades into the background. I am so thankful for dance as it has allowed me to be free and be myself.” – Erica Jackson

Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus

We dance to feel

Dance allows me to connect with my emotions. Choreographing especially is like yoga, in the sense that it makes you feel so connected to yourself” – Tia Oliver 

Dance has always been there for me even when it felt like the world was crumbling around me. It gave me friends and an outlet to completely be myself with no judgement. I can feel every single one of my emotions I am holding in and just let it all go.” – Brooke Santos

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

We dance to connect

I have always been very shy and quiet ever since I was young and really hated talking in front of people. Dance was always something that helped me come out of my shell and become more confident.” – Caitlyn Corcoran 

Dance has helped me find myself and who I am as a person. It is such a great way to let go and everyday stresses just dissolve. I was always very shy when I was young and dance helped me connect with others, make friends, and be happy with who I was. Dance allows you to escape, be in the moment and enjoy life.” – Margaret Donaghey

As cliche as it sounds, I would not be the person I am today without it. Dance has taught me time management skills, how to work well with a team, and how to focus my creativity into a beautiful connected movement. The feeling I get when I walk into a freshly cleaned studio or put on a new pair of dance shoes is unparalleled. I dance for mental clarity. I dance to connect my mind and body. I dance to heal. The list of reasons for why I am passionate about dance grows every time I walk into a studio and do it over and over again. I am thankful to have dance be a part of my support system.  

All images courtesy of the HC Media Library

Abbey LeClair

U Mass Amherst '22

Abbey LeClair is a senior at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst, majoring in Psychology on the Neuroscience track. She loves to spend her time hanging out with friends, listening to music, and dancing for the UMass Dance Club. Feel free to follow her on Instagram: @abbeyleclair
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst