Culture > Digital

Poor Connection: How Tech Has Tainted the Human Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Our species is wired to seek connection. So are our computers. Perfect, right? I hate to break it to you, but their correlation is negative. In other words, when high-speed internet access infiltrates every corner of our community, poor connection trickles down into our personal lives, and we are left scrambling for a signal. We live in an age of digital distraction, causing our relationship with our devices to look eerily similar to that of a baby and pacifier. Thankfully, there’s no need to cry. We, too, can grow out of this habit. Sure, the process will require a bit more discipline and self-awareness, but it’s better than developing an open bite.

So how much is too much?

This morning, I was not roused by the sound of the Sunday paper slapping my front door steps. Instead, I was greeted by an endearing notification from my good friend, Apple Inc., “Your screen time was down 22% last week, for an average of two hours, 47 minutes a day.” This felt like a backhanded compliment. Congrats! Last week you only wasted 19.48 hours of your precious life surfing the algorithm. Much better than usual! OUCH! Talk about a reality check. Since everyone uses their tech for different reasons, I can’t offer you a concrete suggestion on how much screen time is too much. However, I can offer you a method to analyze your own usage habits.

Consider How your screen time is used.

Being a young adult in the age of digital distraction means that we often start and end each day with a mind-numbing scroll. We are skilled at consuming hundreds of snippets of media each day, and yet somehow nothing sticks. Not to mention, the rise of Instagram and Facebook reels has amplified the culture of quick and endless entertainment. I know one thing for sure, reels are great at keeping us stuck in a carousel of consumption.

CPL Sections TECH?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team

Despite wreaking havoc on our own productivity, there’s no denying that the infinite scroll boosts ad revenue. Thus, many media giants have latched onto this Alice model of entertainment; and there’s no foreseeable end to the rabbit hole. Gone are the days of a social media feed with a definitive end. Now, you are fed more content with each and every swipe of your thumb. At least magazines have a back cover! Pay attention to whether your time spent on the web is serving a purpose, or inhibiting you from more valuable experiences. Imagine what you could accomplish if you used those hours to practice your hobbies, engage with friends new and old, or simply have some time to think. I might just be fluent in a second language by now if I could trade my lost time for self-improvement! Luckily, it’s never too late to start.

Remember that real connections are built offline

Although the internet has been public domain since the early 90s, social media addiction as we know it arguably began with the introduction of the iPhone in June 2007. Over the years, we’ve strayed from our former way of life, adopting a “new normal” without much resistance. With the quality of interpersonal relations on the line, it’s important to remember that we can take a step back from our devices and do a little 1992 role-play. Approach your next elevator ride with the goal to strike up a conversation. While you wait in line tomorrow at the local coffee joint, delight in the opportunity you have to observe your surroundings and let those thoughts run free. Instead of texting on your stroll to class or work, notice the squirrels preparing for winter (trust me, it’s adorable). Most importantly, forgive yourself if you find it hard to rewire your habits. I feel that way too. Our current relationship with digital media has come to a slow boil over many years. It’ll take some time to cool off.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Katherine Fillion

U Mass Amherst '24